uk manufacturers of epp gliders

i have been trying to find a new soarer for my collection i have been thinking of something epp about 60" just for fun flying i looked at phoenix but stan yeo has stopped manufacture. plenty available in the states or even new zealand. any suggestion for this country?  pss models also 
help please 
colin 

Advert

hello colin-i had the same problem as you-the really the only model's  made from EPP are the alan head ones.....SAS.....as in the post above by enrico...speaking of which-he and i(enrico) got a couple of' LE guppy's' from AMERICA.....see seperate post's/threads on the forum here.........if you can stand the postage and import tax..i would def recommend one to you....

ken anderson...........

web site is under ...leading edge gliders...

i spoke with alan and ordered a wildthing 60 @ £65 incld postage a bargain i have looked at the guppy from leading edge i managed to source a telink multifun last year in its box that should be similar im trying to get someone to assemble it for me i have dropped the hints out otherwise i will have to.
does anyone have an alternative to the american adhesive goop?
colin

hi ken
it is just on every usa epp builder web site they go on about this goop. i wonder if it is one of the banned type adhesives in this country i.e not to used in confined spaces and being able to see aliens while using it. they seem to use it scraped on before covering in solar tex like pva.   
5 min epoxy or zacki cyno works for me

Goop is nothing like epoxy or Cyano - it remains semi flexible, more like UHU por and so on.
Andy Ellison did an article on all things sticky - including goop - HERE

Extract
" A virtually identical product in every way which is readily available in the UK is Pacer Technologys strangely named Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo. If you really, really absolutely must have nothing but Goop and your build process is halted because you cant get it, then buy that instead"

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 25/02/2010 23:19:31

Posted by Matthew Lloyd on 26/02/2010 13:21:09:
It looks as though you should make some threads 'sticky' Timbo, such as British EPP and Andy's articles...

Unfortunately they are not "threads" but mini articles, best I can do is create new thread, insert the links, and make that thread sticky.
Some things on this platform are still a bit unweildy

epoxy does stick to EPP. 

Goop - www.palmersmetals.co.uk (ring as not on their website, although e6000 would also be fine.)

superglue would probably work.

I would say ultimate adhesive and strength is had from gorilla glue (or other PU type glue). easy to get off ebay.

I like PU glue as it expands in to the holes in EPP. It would probably work very well in the spar hole of an SAS model. I think I gooped mine in though. 

Edited By Tom Satinet on 26/02/2010 16:41:27

thanks for everyones help a big thank you also to alan head soar ahead sailplanes for quick and promt service my wildthing arrived next day i started it last night about 9pm i used everything supplied apart from the plastic clevises which i replaced with metal ones i had it finished by midnight  now i need some time off work to test fly it.
colin 

Hi Colin, well done and many happy flights !
Incidentally, the supplied palstic clevis' are fine - my WT has been very badly abused over 3 yeras now, and the original plastic ones are still fine - trust Alan Head...... he really knows his stuff when it comes to these things and would simply not supply any parts or materials that were not up to the job. Many people actually prefer plastic ones over metal on any model as plastic flexes, and metal simply cracks and breaks under heavy use.
Retain with a short length of fuel tubing for added security, and glance at them after any hard landing ! Always remember to wiggle the sticks just before you throw it off.

the problem I had on my fusion was that the plastic clevis is very hard to adjust. you have to take a bit of a flier with the amount of reflex needed and once you have the model trimmed out it's quite hard to turn the plastic clevis to adjust the length of the pushrod, as they are pretty tight on the thread. you can't access the other end of the pushrod to hold it obviously.

tbh i think a standard size servo can take a few knocks. the elevons are pretty flexible anyway.

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 28/02/2010 11:18:04:
 Many people actually prefer plastic ones over metal on any model as plastic flexes, and metal simply cracks and breaks under heavy use.

I have NEVER seen that happen in forty years of modelling across all disciplines.

Linkage scence (especially so with combat EPP gliders) is all about identifying at which bit in the chain you want your weak link.
Given that something will break, a busted linkage is preferable to a busted servo arm. A busted servo arm is preferable to a busted servo gear. A broken clevice over a servo arm, servo gear or even control horn.
Think about what is the easiest to fix on the side of the slope and what will cost you the least money to put right.
Then think about what is most likely to cost you the embarassment of pulling off a blinding kill over Timbo and his aging Wildthing only to find that your plastic clevice popped off in the impact!
Don't diss the metal.....I use them (almost) across the board.
Perhaps I should change them all on the jets and DS models eh Timbo?

Andy

I didnt actually say that metal clevis' break - although I have had it happen to me on some cheap and nasty ARTF supplied ones - I was just trying to say that as a material, plastic is more forgiving than metal in that it bends and flexes more readily. Of course that all depends on the quality of materials, so I should have qualified that I guess

As for the Wildthing - as supplied by AH - fit and use the plastic ones I reckon.

Please go ahead and change them on your fast expensive models Andy..... then I can rummage amongst the remains

Posted by colin watson on 01/03/2010 19:58:09:
i only fit metal clevises i have fitted 6kg digi sevos so plenty of power in reserve photos of my wildthing

Well thats your choice - but no logical reason to do so - as I said, AH supplies nylon ones for a reason I have never had one fail in 3 hard slope years on my Wt.
Mind you, fitting the servos in completely the wrong place has placed the horns and clevis' externally, and as Matthew has already said - they are completely wrong.

I strongy advise you to rip it part and do it as per plan, otherwise it will not last long on the average slopside.

Well spotted Matthew.

Colin,

You could fly your WT as it is and it will fly at least once.

Those horns and pushrods will be very prone to damage on landing and as Timbo says, your best option would be to carefully take it apart and put it right.

Hope you kept that spare bit of foam that came in the box.
You might need it to plug up part of the servo holes.