ICGF 15CC Petrol

Richard Parnell

Advert

Hello Richard.I have beenlooking for a small petrol engine for my flair spitfire . As the 120 FS I had in it was less than impressive I Googled all makes of engine I could find and the RCGF was given quite a few write ups .Might be worth a try ? I have gone for the Version 2 CRRC 26 cc as the price I found on e-bay just couldn't be beat .
Regards

E.D.

• 1 month later...
Well I've done it. Fitted a RCGF 15cc to a hanger 9 Spitfire. It flies like a dream, The engine is seams to be very reliable. Can't wait till I get to fly it again now.  Just to note the spitfire kit disapointed me. I was supprised for a Hanger 9 kit, there suppose to be top quality.

Hi Richard l would like to know how you are getting on with you rcgf petrol as I'm thinking of getting one to replace my old mk1 91 suppass which gave up whilst flying my chippie , a new engine and wings and it's flying again is yours the side induction one cheers ..............mark

I've got a 26cc RCGF petrol and its cracking, the only downside is its length from prop hub  to firewall, which exceeds most cowl/engine fitting dimensions on the 90/120  kits; its great on open fronted cowls (Yak 55, SU31 et al) and Biplanes, mines for a 1/4 scale Neiuport 11 from Balsa USA. 

I'd be interested on your 15cc version views/comments. I'm considering getting one to fit on a Pulse XT60.

No Mark, It's the Rear induction. The engine runs very well, very smoth transition, but it's early day's yet. I've only made 4 flight's But am very impressed.

As for prop hub to firewall, I was also concerned about this as it doesn't seem to mention it in the online specs, It's 5 1/2 inches I think I'll double check if you like? 
But works out just right on the Hanger 9 Spitfire, comes out 3mm in front of the cowling. Would some pics be useful?

The only problems I encountered. Were:
Engine mounts were quite a bit wider than the predrilled holes,  so new holes drilled and strenghening added as one of the holes was way too close to the edge!

Fuel tank bung and clunk had to be replaced for Gas friendly versions.
I needed two breathers also as filling the tank through the felt clunk kept pushing it off the tubing.

New hole drilled in firewall for HT lead.

The cowling also needed extensive surgery as the exaust sticks out quite a bit, no bad thing I suppose as I know it'll run nice and cool.

A bit more work than fitting a standard nitro but i think it was worth it.
Hopefuly I'll get some more flight time next weekend after sorting out some nigaly problems found on the maiden.
Rich

hi Richard thanks for the info some pics of your set up would be great and of course your spitfire ,the way you describe the engine sounds perfect for the chippie its got a cavernous cowling so fitting shouldn't be to much work  look forward to seeing your spit
cheers ...........................mark

Edited By Mark Wakeling on 04/05/2010 22:45:16

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Come on you guys, I just bought an RCGF15 and whilst a superb engine it is way too noisy on the standard muffler. What gives on the Pitts style muffler, I wont buy one yet till someone publishes the  true figures for noise at less than 82dB from 7 metres away. I've got a strimmer silencer stuck on the end of the pipe but I'm losing 1500rpm. Has anyone got knowledge of a different pipe that is a straight swap and very much quieter?

Eric

• 1 year later...