Wot 4 Mk. 3

Advert

Hi Garry I bought my tapered wing from the balsa cabin here in Essex they are really nice
and cost me under £20 ,give them a call as they do post they will also supply all the wood you need to complete the wings

cheers ....................mark

Edited By Mark Wakeling on 02/04/2010 11:42:20

No that's called "the wot trainer" the Mk3 also had tapered wings ,mine has ,and bigger end pieces which bought it up 56" the ripmax wot 4 has only straight wings,but l don't think Garry was referring to this?
cheers .....................mark

Edited By Mark Wakeling on 02/04/2010 14:28:06

Looking on Chris Foss web site the tapered 56" on the Mk.3 has a revised wing section and updated fuselage. I have read somewhere else that the tail has been raised, presumeably still at 0deg. incidence, has the motor thrust line been raised to the same datum also?

I think that my only hope of getting plans would be from someone that has traced the pre-cut parts from a kit prior to building it.

As one of my club pals says, answers in pencil on a £20 note.

Garry G

Is it worth making the tapered wing when it does not fly any better than the straight, standard Wot4?

The tapered wing might be an Acrowot wing reduced  from the 58 inches.

Note that the later Wot4 seems to have an Acrowot tailplane too.

Garry,
A good ebay seller often lists plans for the mk1 Wot4 including hand drawn
plans for a built-up wing.
Biggles_rfc  'Yesterday's aeromodelling Services'.
If it's not currently listed ask - he'll probably oblige.
The early mk1  is still a good model.
It's parallel wing is arguably better than the tapered of the Mk3.

I don't think Mr Foss would be too chuffed about someone building a Mk3
from a sketched plan though....

Hi Richard, did check earlier on eBay to see if anyone was selling a Wot 4 Mk.3 kit and noticed that Mk. 1 plans were available.

A club member has them and templates as well  so can go down that route if necessary: also another member has bought the ARTF Mk.2 and taken scale dimensions and produced an 80% version on JPEG files so could get that printed off at 100%.

Don't know what difference there may be between the Mk.2 and Mk.3 fuselage though.

I may be a bit obsessive about the tapered wing but just like the shape and also simply believe the sales pitch about it on the Chris Foss web site.

Guess he wouldn't be too happy about pinching his designs as he has done the work so should get the reward.

Regards
Garry G

• 11 months later...
I am just starting on a wot 4 mk3 build.
I need to know the datum line position on the engine former, the kit talks about an indent, but my one does not have one.
any help about the engine position would help please.
Chriss Foss works not available till next week.

Tony

Hi Tony, I'm in the middle of building my Mk 3, so have measured the indent which scales at 1-5/8" from the sides and also from the bottom of the fire wall, former 4 I think.

I have also added another 1/8" lightply backing to beef it up a bit.Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Garry G

Thanks Garry
I have progressed a few stages into the build
Wings have leading, trailing edges and tips fitted. am going to use small 9g servos for the ailerons, as these will fit the holes pre made in the wings.
just laid up the side panels to the fus, glueing on the doublers and longrons.
I aim to drill for the engine mount and fit nuts before assembling the formers into the fus.
Regards
Tony