Wot Trainer

Phil 9

Well I put a tank of fuel though the AX yesterday.... Ran it up to 3/4 throttle for a minute followed by adjusting the needle from 2 turns to 1.1/2 turns every 10 seconds as per the manual. I will go out a put a second tank through at full throttle again adjusting the needle every tens seconds until she runs out of fuel. Then if the weather is good on saturday with help from my fellow club mates will give its second maiden.

Advert

Yesterday was a good day.... Ran the engine in at the field but the ax kept loading up at idle until it was spotted that the the plug was an 8 but a 3 would be better and the hotter plug made the engine run about right . Then of it went for its second maiden the wind was up around 10mph but no problems had to go around three times on finals as she would not slow down enough but landed very well.... Not me flying though but I did take the controls for some figure eights and race tracks...

Very happy............

• 6 months later...
I have a Wot Trainer and still love flying it, even though I have moved on to low wingers.
I use it with a buddy box to teach and it is ideal for this.
The only problem that I have with it, is that the elevator trim needs to be reset at the start of every flying session.
I am fairly sure that this is due to the tailplane warping and I intend to replace it with a solid one. (The original is open structure). This should be easy as it just bolts on.

Edited By Ian Price 1 on 05/12/2010 14:09:54

Edited By Ian Price 1 on 05/12/2010 14:11:28

The tailplane on the WOT Trainer is not its best feature. I've seen several beginners start to have serious "flutter" problems once they gain confidence and start "throwing it around" a bit. You can fit some carbon rod bracers to the underneath that does help. Though a fully solid tailplane might be better provided you can get the CoG back in the right place.

But overall my view might be that, if your having tailplane problems, you accept that you've possibly outgrown the model and need to think about upgrading to a full blown WOT4.

BEB

• 4 weeks later...

I have now completed to new tail plane.

I covered it in glass cloth to make it more ridged.

It weighs only 9 grams more than the original and the COG does not seem to have changed. 

After some re-trimming, it now flies superbly well and the trim does not keep changing as it did before.

Edited By Ian Price 1 on 02/01/2011 11:08:19