Fast Foam BAe Hawk

Dusty

Still not sure about the layout of the balsa ducting TBH - so be sure to put up some clear pictures of how it fits and so on. Also...not sure what we gain from balsa t/e other than a bit of stiffening and resisttance to damage - have to say the original never showed any signs of problems without them.

Advert

Hi Martyn,

No the retracts do not come with the kit! If you buy the kit and retracts you get discount from Jepe, however you can buy the retracts seperately from him too. I am sure you can get the retracts in the UK?

Np Tim,

Balsa would be stronger than foam! I will do the ducting later today!

Hi Tony, yes indeed!

Tim here your pics:

Thats one side done, repeat for the otherside!  Inbetween the V is where I plan on housing the ESC. It will be easy to get to as the wings will be removable. I house it in this same position on in the Mirage.

Tim maybe these will help you? Those balsa bits I was missing turned up in the mail today so I have fitted them as I can then make a mount and secure the ESC in this position. Does this give you more idea of how to make the ducting?

The motor wires are profiled with a carbon stick and shrinktube.
The fibre strips are laid into postion and using a old paintbrush pasting HT2 foam safe epoxy/resin over the cloth for the wings main spa. Its takes 24hours to dry.

A quick dry fit of the 2 fuz sides you can see the space inbetween the ducting is great for housing  the esc, wife, kids, dog etc.

Full wheel well cut out now, the formers in the nose must be cut out too! It really needs a gear door?

Thrust tube fitted and painted with aluminium acrylic paint.

The ply bits with the red outline must be built up for a perfect fit of the fan.

View from the RH intake, filler filled in all the small gaps, as I have girly hands I can get into the area and sand it smooth.

The cover for the EDF unit needs trimming for a decent fit!

The tail needs work to house the linkage and to make sure it has smooth operation. The piece marked with the solid red line must be cut off.

Now it needs to be hollowed out carefully!

The tail needs to be hollowed out to so the pushrod from the servo to the elevator can move freely.

It makes more sense now. The explanation / pictures from JePe himself didnt make it too clear to me, and it appeared as if the sheeting was merely lining the the existing ductwork with no other function.
Thanks to Dusty's pictures, I can see the whole air flow shaping formed, and it now makes sense.
Cheers mate, keep up the pics, it will help me when I come to do mine ( its back in the box at the mo for various rerasons )
Incidentally, did you see how I did the original version motor wiring.....very similar to what JePe has done, although I used solid copper wire to form the upright section, and routed it through the fan casing - this avoids any cutting /taping of the the thrust tube at all, and allows easier remova /insertion of the tube after fitting.

This gap shown below, is actually filled by the fitting of the foam section after the motor and fan is mounted.

Thanks David!

Dry fitted the model and took her out side to get a true representation of how the Hawk will stand on a soft surface. I put a big 5000mah 6s lipo in the nose to simulate the weight. The AoA is pritty much spotty dog for what I was wanting! happy as Larry I will now permantly join the model together.