ESC trouble

That really is unfortunate Nigel, I would perhaps switch to a different model once you get your money back. One thing to note is that UH don't replace any connectors you may have fitted. Rather stupid of me to assume that they would but I sent an ESC back with 5 4mm attached without realising.

I have been using the Super Simple range for a while with no problems on JR.

Good luck
Cheers
Danny

Advert

Thanks Danny.

Yes, I'll be taking the connectors off thanks.

And no, I really can't be having another of the same.  All these issues have soured the project.  I need to be getting back on track now.

I've seen the Super Simple ones.  I wonder if they're any good for helis.

I've sent back both ESCs but now I need to choose one that I know will work.  It needs to be a minimum of 50A and have soft startup and shutdown for a heli.

The previous two ESCs cost £15 each plus postage.  It would be good if I didn't need to spend much more than that.

These look like they may be ok but they will cost about £40.

Anyone have any other suggestions ?

Nigel, You don't appear to have said what you want them for but if it's something like a 450-size heli, then the GC Hobbywing Pentium 40A ESC should be more than adequate. I have this ESC in a number of models without any problems at all. It has soft-start and programmes easily with the card. If you need 50A or more then there are plenty on offer at GC and the prices are very competitive, as always.

Pete

Now I am not a heli flyer, but from little research I did into electric helis a few years back, I concluded that the ESC is a different beast to that for fixed wing, with things like governor mode needed. The one feature that seemed to me to be esssential, was the lack of LVC - surely the last thing you want as you are just approaching the hover to land after a flight, is the LVC cutting in and the motor stopping
As I say, not a heli flyer, but welcome comments on this aspect.

Posted by Pete B on 17/05/2010 14:49:10:
Nigel, You don't appear to have said what you want them for but if it's something like a 450-size heli, then the GC Hobbywing Pentium 40A ESC should be more than adequate. I have this ESC in a number of models without any problems at all. It has soft-start and programmes easily with the card. If you need 50A or more then there are plenty on offer at GC and the prices are very competitive, as always.

Pete

Thanks Pete.  The motor is rated up to 42A though so I need more.

I bought a HiModel Professional 60A ESC from BRC and this one doesn't do the restarts.  The slow start option doesn't seem particularly slow at this despite using the programming card to set it to very soft but I'll look at that later.