Home made Aircraft stand.

Hi all,

Just thought you might want to see the result of me getting bored at work one day. I have needed a stand for ages so decided to build my own.
I have borrowed the idea from others that i have seen!!  

Started with some foam and marked out two ends.

Cut out the two ends to the shape required.

Stuck and screwed some sliders on the bottom legs and also on one side so that it gives two options of fuselage depth that can be used.

Light duty felt applied to top and side fuselage cut outs for a little extra protection.

4 x 24" 19mm alluminium tubing and end stops used for support rods.

All done and complete.

Had to test it!!! Also made a tray underneath from spare foam.

Hope you like.

Advert

Ross
Proper job !
One suggestion (not a criticism ) - Would some reinforcement inserts around the holes with flanges be in order to spread the load ? I can imagine vibration & fuel shaking the holes into ovals /whatever after some use .Maybe some quick release clips of somesort on the tubes to keep them tight against the end pieces /end stops . Just a thought .On anything but perfectly flat ground the assembly is likely to try and twist .
I'll get mi coat !
Myron

Ross, very good, watch out, we may find it in one of the future mag issues  , only one suggestion I would add is, where the tubes go through the foam, a square of ply glued to each side of the foam to made it more durable and stop the wobble as it get used.
Well done
 A.A. Barry

It has come to me Ross, every gardener uses "cliplock "couplers to clip onto the tap... Ok , now the lower halve has a screw tightening coller to which to clasp the hose, if that part is secured to the ply backing, and the tube goes through it, when the lenght is suitable , tighten the collar, , any good?????
Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 23/06/2010 13:25:34

• 2 weeks later...
I made a similar model stand some years ago out of liteply & foam tube....cost buttons & even won me a VMAR RV4 as "Top Tip" in RCM&E way back in 2003/4 I think it was.

The stand is shown below (on the right) in the back of my car...(ignore the wing stand...that wasn't very successful!!!)

I fitted hinges in each corner so it would fold flat when not in use. I also made some extra "ends" with support brackets so I could use it as a "double decker" stand for transporting two models.

Takes about 1 hour to make with a jigsaw & a sheet of 1/4" liteply....I still have the drawing in pdf form if anyone wants to see it.....PM me for a copy....