ASP/SC or Irvine or JEN?

John Horsfield

I might be in the market for a new engine. Im looking to spend £60(ish). Ive always used SC recently but one of my .46 has recently had new bearings, needs at least a new con rod and it generally not as sweet as it used to be. Should I stick with what i know and go with a SC/ASP .46 or .52. Or should i be tempted with an Irvine .46 (which i know is a great lump) or the more powerful  Jen .47 or .57 (which i know nothing about)?

Advert

John
I presume you're only after a 2-st
As someone who has gradually turned to four strokes after 2-strokes for decades for several reasons ,the only largish 2-stroker (to me) I still use is the Irvine 53 .It has the reputation of the power of a 60 & I agree .It powers my Seagull Extra that is meant for 60's 2-St or up to 91 4-St no problem ! Don't know about Jens either.

Up until a few weeks ago I would have recommended ASP. However my 52 disintegrated in mid air after only about 60 flights a couple of weeks back due to bearings failing.

I have recently acquired two of the new OS made Irvines (46) and must say that first impressions are excellent. Bought them from just engines for a very reasonable £59 or so. Throttle response is superb even after barely running in.

Edited By Gavin Livsey on 25/06/2010 17:08:47

Interesting Gavin.....my ASP52 bearing went pretty quickly too, the motor was maybe a year old.....they looked in very poor shape. JE replaced them & I still have the motor in regular use (about 5 years old now) although with the new bearings it never seemed to quite have the pull it had when new.....

I have lots of other ASPs though & they are all fine engines....reliable, powerful what more do you need..

Honourable mention must go to my newest ASP a 32. A fantastic & really gutsy little engine!!!

I've got a an ASP .46 2s at the moment.  Beating my OS .46 & SC .46 hands down in the reliability stakes.  And its quieter than the other two.  Running on 5%, and still has plenty of poke.  So far its had 4 gallon through it on an 8 oz tank (98 flights), and shows no signs of degrading.  Leans out lovely.

BB

Thanks for the advice guys, its academic now though because my Dad (bless him) has just "loaned" me his spare SC.52 which just sqeezes into the mount on my Seebee. Its not been used for a bit, but I managed to fit it last night and run it up. Took a little starting at first, but now its set up it runs very sweetly and throttles well.

I must admit my experiance with SC engines has always been pretty good in general. Ive had a few (currently 3 in the fleet) and this .46 is the first one Ive had problems with, the other .46 that I have in my twister is absolutley amazing and always runs perfect, whatever the weather. Ive never even changed the glow plug on it!!

Still, when you have a problem, you are always tempted to try a diffrent brand...