'A' Certificate!

JayCee

JayCee

Its weight and power that counts.  If you look in the BMFA 2010 book you'll see there is now a minimum weight.  My Club has always had a 2.5Kg lower limit for 'A'.  If you assume that 500W is roughly a 40 size IC you'll see its more about the responsibility of piloting something substantial around the field.

Good Fortune with the test ....

Andy

A couple of points to bear in mind.

The BMFA does not make "rules" that apply to model flyers.  Its rules pertain only to those who are its members and give their consent to be bound.

There are currently no legal restrictions on the type of power unit which you choose (save for pulse jet), nor any restrictions pertaining to solo flight.

I know,I know, call me a pedant (or worse). I don't wish to see these schemes being proposed as legal criteria via the medium of common usage.

Edited By David Turner 5 on 29/06/2010 15:00:08

Mr Turner !

Gently does it !

I belong to a club where the chaps are so naughty they were called 'special' at school.  Even they think the BMFA rules are OK.

The 'A' test is simple and straightforward. JayCee will enjoy the process, the practice and the passing.

These BMFA types are old and sensible, although they might not be up to date with some technologies.  They really are an OK bunch. ... Andy

surely the answer is that it depends on your club.  The certification scheme isn't a legal permit to fly, it is just an acheivement scheme.   Some clubs CHOOSE to use it as a proficiency test, but that's just club or site rules, nothing to do with the BMFA, the CAA or any other 'A'.

Bob, who still needs to get off of his 'A' and get a certificate so he can visit fly-ins!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 29/06/2010 16:48:57

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 29/06/2010 16:48:07:
surely the answer is that it depends on your club.  The certification scheme isn't a legal permit to fly, it is just an acheivement scheme.   Some clubs CHOOSE to use it as a proficiency test, but that's just club or site rules, nothing to do with the BMFA, the CAA or any other 'A'.

JayCee,  Bob is quite right - it's down to individual clubs. 

For our club we ask that you have an A appropriate to what you are flying. There are 5 different A tests; 

Fixed-wing 
Helicopter
Silent Flight-Thermal
Silent Flight-Slope
Silent Flight-Electric

Silent Flight-Slope is for slope soaring so we can ignore that at our club site!  We can also ignore Silent Flight-Thermal at the club - this is for un-powered gliders,  the launching of which would pose practical problems at our site.  Helicopter is obviously for helicopters which you don't fly at the moment.  But if you were to, we would ask for a heli A before you could fly it solo - even if you had a fixed-wing A (or higher.)

So that just leaves Fixed-wing and Silent Flight-Electric. 

The Fixed-wing A test is intended for "regular" fixed-wing models regardless of how they are powered.  This is the test that most of us do.  If you pass the A with an electric model we will then be happy for you to fly an i/c powered model - or vice versa. 

The Silent Flight-Electric test is appropriate to electric powered gliders and an ROG (which you've now looked-up ) is not required.  With a SF-Electric A test we'd be happy for you to fly electric powered gliders solo,  but not a "regular" powered model - whether electric or i/c.

OK - a slightly longer-winded answer than I intended but the main point is;  pass the fixed-wing A with either electric or i/c and we'll be happy for you to fly fixed-wing models whether electric or i/c powered.  Other clubs may differ!

John (JayCee's club treasurer)

Thanks John

Guess I could have asked you at the club site, however putting it in the public domain gives others a chance to follow the thread.

As you know I have IC trainers 'high' & 'low' wing and enjoy flying them at the site, but sometimes it is a bit of a chore lugging all the associated paraphernalia on the...'long walk' to the strip!

So I thought I would give electric flight a try which also has the added advantage of being a 'park flyer' a bit of local extra practice when you just have the odd hour!

I picked up an ST models MX2 Sports/3D which is obviously to advanced for my ability but have reduced the 'throws' and put in loads of 'Expo' so will give that a try while waiting for for the new Chris Foss Wot 4 Foam-E which I have had on order for ages! have been promised it buy the end of July!! by 'Sussex Models' but will believe it when I see it

Thanks once again to everyone for their help and advice

Regards JC