Harmony Begins

Peter - I like the Symphony and the colour scheme although I also like the cut down rear fuse on the Harmony and the original yellow colour scheme. It does have an air of a late mark Spit.....

For the upscale I intend to go yellow all over with mid WWII RAF roundels and a 'P' for prototype on the side of the fuselage. I will also put large black stripes (a la invasion stripes) on the top or bottom surface of the wing to aid orientation in flight

Hi Everyone

I have to say Jon, that is looking good, i have had an unfortunate set back on mine. Having had no time this winter its been part finished in the garage, and yes i should have known better its ruined.

I guess i will be starting all over again with the body, i love the cowel you used.

David

Thanks Dave - sorry yours has been ruined. I know the feeling!

I plan to commence wing build within the next month or so subject to other commitments on the work / home front! I'll keep the thread posted on progress....

I forgot to say that the very nice people at West Wales Models were the ones who upscaled the plan and laser cut the parts for me through the assistance of my mate the very well known Martin Bedding..I am sure they can repeat the process for anyone who may be interested.

If all goes well I will submit a brief article on build and flying for possible inclusion in a future issue of RCME - Sturmfuhrer Ashby permitting of course!

• 3 months later...
I have posted some additional photos in my own profile as adding them here seemed to be a problem....

I am running well behind due to work commitments and such like but the fuselage is finished and I think it looks great. The wing pics are at the 'dry build stage' as I am just working it all out. Laser cut parts were upscaled 30% and made by West Wales models. I hope to have the model ready for maiden flight by July at the latest - work etc allowing!

Will be ordering WWII RAF prototype markings from Pyramid Models and the model will carry the name 'Lithe Louise'....

• 1 month later...
Hi Peter,

Just to keep you posted...

Almost there now....business trips have severely delayed the overall progress but the wing is now structurally complete and the bottom covered in red polyester film. All that's left is to fit the two aileron servos in the wing, cover the top, fit the ailerons and final fit the empennage. Oh, connect the linkages, set the throws and fit the prop / spinner. The RAF mid WWII decals from Pyramid Models look great and give it real presence

If the weather is ok and 'Wing Commander Bedding' gives the model a permit to fly next weekend we shall look to maiden it next week. As with all my aircraft it is named after 'the boss' and this particular model is called 'Lithe Louise'; I will post some pics of the completed model within the next week or so...I'll also send some into the editor of RCME...

Was trying to think of a hybrid name for the model combining Harmony with Spiteful but I cannot come up with anything....

Regards

Jon

Well here she is finished and ready for her maiden flight - 130% upscaled Harmony with Spiteful cowl and canopy.

I am very happy with how the this long and at times difficult process has paid off. I am entrusting the maiden flight to my very good friend and (more) experienced pilot Martin Bedding as we both feel she will be a bit slippery. Now all we need is for the interminable wind to quieten down.....!

• 2 weeks later...
Two flights of about four minutes showed that even in the capable hands of 'Wing Commander' Bedding this Harmony version is quite slippery - landing approaches kept to wide sweeping arcs to avoid stalling but with a fast landing speed.

After the second flight it was clear that the horizontal stabiliser needed reinforcement either due to upscaling or production problems! This was quickly remedied with triangular section fillets at the roots plus wire bracing.

I hope to fly the model myself if the weather is ok next weekend.....will add photos of bracing mods in the near future

Yes Peter I incorporated the 2 degrees of washout as proposed in your design. The stall was a mushy dropped wing that should be fairly easy to recover at height. I will have a better idea of things when I fly the model for myself but Martin is usually pretty spot on in his diagnosis of flying characteristics so I will be taking care and not trying to land too slowly!

I'll let you know how it goes weather permitting of course

• 5 years later...