Harmony Begins

I would suggest that you use Supertec Mini L servos, distributed by J. Perkins.

They are nice and reasnable small but not so small as to be fragile and they are more powerful than standard servos.

There are not many .20s around so I would suggest an SC 25, again from J. Perkins. All the engines that I buy new are SC engines. They are good and reliable and spares are cheap.

Thanks Peter

I went to the site and saw the servos, a little confused about the engines though perhaps i was a littl tired when i was looking.

I could not see any sc .25 engines, can i also just say thanks again to every one who has been so helpful its made things so much easier.

You may think about going to "Just engines" who do ASP engines which are SC engines but seem always more consistent and they are just as cheap. Lets rephrase that. Inexpensive. Thats because they are good quality and not rubbish type cheap.
I have an ASP25 that I have just run up today. Unlike SC which I think are ABC, the ASP is a cast iron/steel setup which means it takes more running in but will outlast the SC by probably years.
I have just finished the wings construction when I thought about the recommended throws on the ailerons when I got to read that Peter had fitted a Spektrum rx. Was this the park fly one as I would have thought the 6ch full range one would have been a better option?  If it was the park fly one. What one and was the range OK - guess it was else the plane would have by now met its demise.
BTW you cant beat Just Engines for service. IMHO

I can see the photo if I go to photobucket.   But if you upload the photo to your album ( 'My Accoun't'  then 'My Photos' ) on this site you can insert it into your posting here.

Edited By kc on 19/07/2010 09:35:38

My almost finished wing. Just need to have the hinges fitted and the pushrods attached. Cant wait to fly this thing. Pity no one has put a video out on Utube . . . hint hint.
. . and even if its doesnt fly a big thanks to Peter Miller for the trouble in doing the plans.

Photobucket

At last its finished and ready for its maiden flight. Getting the CG back was quite a challenge. A short tail moment and what is, I suppose, quite a large engine, meant the battery had to go in a compartment at the rear most position inside the fuselage. Meanwhile 20gm of lead was added inside the tail fin fairings. My recommendation if you build one with a 25, is to either increase the tail moment (would make it less twitchy) or use a smaller engine.

I'm in Essex, well the Hertfordshire/essex border, but it is the same weather tomorrow supposedly. Work is likely to preclude its maiden flight today although I have just gone out and checked the engine. What an easy starter it is too. Its had a couple of tanks through it before I installed it but I am very impressed by the quality of this Enya Engines. I guess they are all of the same quality so I am thinking of buying another for my possible Flea-Fly build.

I managed to get my maiden flight on this today. With an Enya .25 I would say this is no slouch. The ground handling is superb and better than many of my larger models but the large wheels also present a handicap in that even grass doesn't slow it down too much. If you come in hot as I did on purpose as it was its first flight it eats an enormous amount of ground up. My trim adjustments were about three clicks to the right for the aileron and was it. Bearing in mind there is no down thrust or sidethrust I was quite suprised at its trim throughout the speed spectrum. The control throws were just about right for a first flight on low rates but the high rates may need a little more throw than suggested although this is a personal preference. The controls were well harmonised I could say - pun intended.
One more thing. I never added any decals or markings before this first flight. It really does need something to identify what way up it is as it is quite easy to lose orientation if you take your eyes off it even for a brief second. Having seen a model at the club "go in" because the pilot had a fly in his eye makes me realise that although we have intentions of not looking at the model for a short period of time, it is not always possible.
The speed is exhilarating and the engine is not fully leaned out yet; running quite rich due to being a new engine. I cannot fault the engine. I went out with a full tank, a rubber protection for my finger and a glow stick. Stared first time. Brilliant.
I would NOT suggest this is a suitable model for a beginner with a .25, even if he (or she) has even some low wing experience. It is far too fast and agile. Even a .15 would have been suitable.
On its construction side I made only one or two changes, brought about by having some things I wanted to hand and others unavailable. The wing spars were 1/4" square medium to hard balsa and the fuselage doublers were 1/16" marine ply. The latter resulted in a fuselage front end that is bullet proof.  The engines weight must have been considerably more than the originals one as the amount of weight needed to get balance was about 20gm of lead (hidden under the tail fairings) as well as putting the battery as far back as possible. Even now, having flown it, I would have like the CG further back. I have a metal centred tail wheel on order which should be heavier and may help in tweaking just that little extra rearward CG.
The plan in RCM&E never showed the tailwheel but it was added and as I said, made the ground handling superb, even in a crosswing.
This is a model that was a pleasure to build from the super plans drawn up by Peter and is a true delight to fly. Its short tail moment means that it fits in the car even better than other small aircraft that I own which although having a short wingspan make them selves seemingly larger because they have a long tail moment. It can be thrown (not literaly) in the car taking up very little space.
Hopefully, I will get my daughter to take a video of it flying and I can then place it on Utube.
Once again, thanks Peter for a lovely flying model that will surely be one of my favourites in my stable. . . Now whats next.