Tony Major DH Mosquito

Cheers Danny, appreciate the kind words.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the help, I'm useing humbrol enamels with enamel thinners. The black I used was a gloss so I'm guessing this may have played a role into difficulties, most other colours I have are mat/ satin.
I'll try acrylics next time but will use my existing stock first.

The paint masks are 1st class Tim, can't wait to get the rest on.

Cheers,
Craig.

Advert

Hi Craig,

Can't say I have airbrushed Humbrol since my days of 1/43 white metal cars many moons ago, matt paint was also better than gloss from memory, part of the problem is the enamel paint does not flash off quickly, and when thinned out can run too easily if your not very cautious, but I think you will find the matt paint covers better.

I have heard that using cellulose thinners work well, possibly as this flashes off quicker, but must admit I have not tried it, as i am now sticking to the water based paints, and easy equipment clean under the tap!! The Tamiya thinners seems to have a large alcohol/solvent base to it which seems to aid quick drying, helped by a warm room and a hair dryer to hand to speed up things.

Pleased the Paint masks are working out well.

Tim

Hi Tim,
Sorry for the late reply.
I'm having the same problem with the White, I thought it was matt but guess what, it gloss lol.
I'm gonna go one/ possible two more coats and then I'm knocking it on the head for the night.

I was going to try out cellulose thinners but got told by my LMS that it doesn't actually thin the paint and makes it go bad.
Apparently it's only good for washes.
Well see.

Cheers,
Craig.

Cheers Stu, Ill try it in a minit when ive masked everything off.
Havent really got time for the test as im pushed for time at the minit, im confident though.

Heres a few more additions of paint masks.

The port side has came out well, however the coat is very thin and I may go over this with some matt white later.

As you can see the starboard side, not so well.

A bit of leaking on the stiffener, on the H.

And again on the T, this will be tidied up after all the stenciling/ masking has been completed, no great worries here really, apart from when it comes to doing the roundal, wont be happy if that fails.

I was doubting if this was scale but by the looks of it, its not far off, they were going to be close on the top or bottom.
If they were close on the bottom you wouldent see them as well from the side.

Thats enough for now, ive got work to do.

Cheers,

Craig.

I would say the paint is far too thinned and applied far too wet. If it right it should just mist on and not run and flow on the surface. Paint should be thinned just enough to spray and paint air mix adjusted to minimise the paint volume, difficult to describe .

Roundals are coming on now, should be finished late tonight or tomorrow.

Got a couple of pics of them and a few pics I couldent download the other day for some reason but can now, odd.

The yellow went on better than the white and black lettering but was still too thin and began to sag in places, I sanded the sag out and applied the blue through the next stencil which went on excellent.
Paint mix is fine now and I must say that the cellulose thinners works better than the enamel, spreads and drys much better.

Heres me set up for the white ring, I must say the paint masks from modelmarkings are great, simple to align and easy to apply and remove.

These are a couple of pics I couldent download the other day, the pilots, chairs and cockpit are all glued in place now, the only thing thats not there is the control panel as I havent decided what im doing with it yet.
The canopy frame has been painted, freehand and it was a royal pain in the arse.
Hence to say ive been round scraping at it with a scalpel, lol, it doesent look to bad though.
It has silver here and there which will be tidied up later, it has not been fixed in place yet and will be left until another time, needs a good clean with thinners etc.. first.

You can also see the guns are firmly glued in place, a few slithers of wood were needed for alignment.

Cant wait to get the whole thing weathered and that, I still have the wing to do but I can see the end isnt far away.

More pics later, hopefully.
Cheers, Craig.

Well the roundals are complete and about time to, they need to be touched up as many other things do but they dont look too bad.

Heres a few pics.
The port side needs very little work at all really, apart from it being a bit high im quite happy with it.

The starboard side isnt too bad either really but will need touching up around the outside and inside of the lower yellow ring, along with the blue and I may try to tidy up the lower part of the white ring, a few tiny bits broke off.

I will endevour with a few more bits on the fuz tonight but thats it for this trip, the tail flash still needs sorting (sanding back, to top coat, respraying the top coat and then applying the mask after drying for over 24hrs).
Cockpit instrument panel needs sorting and canopy glueing in place, once thats done Ill be doing the weathering and finishing touches.

But the wing will be getting most of my attention tomorrow, ive abandoned it for a while as its getting a pig with problems. I cant wait!.

Sorry, Just looked at this thread. Normally the two letters signified the squadron and the single letter before or after the roundal identified the individual aircraft. What you have on your model is lettering for two different squadrons. You can have EH-T on one side and the otherside T-EH, Most of the markings during WW2 have the Sqn code, Roundal and the letter of the individual aircraft on both sides in that order.

Hi Keith,
Thanks for pointing that out, I was unsure as I have both photos that Danny has sent.

It will rectify it in time, I should have went with my gut, not happy.

I will continue to crack on with other stuff for now, I'll have to get more stencils from tim next month.

Thanks very much Keith and Danny, could have been a fairly big mistake. The bright side is, that's the bad side.

Thanks guys.

Craig.

Hi Keith ,
Thanks for the compliments. I wouldn't be hurt by anyone's comments, I accept them as they will help me and appreciate the help.

Haven't flown her yet as the wing still has a lot of work to be done to it, having issues with incowl exhaust etc.. I'll be working on it today at some point.

Have a look through the pages and yourl see what I mean.

Thanks for your help Keith, hope to get more if you notice something.

Cheers, Craig.

Off to work today for two weeks and then on to the fun stuff again.

Heres a few pics of a little work thats been done.

The upperwing has had it final coat of primer, a few panel lines and rivits (screws really but at that size it gives the illusion.

The black lines are permanent marker, primer doesent like it for some reason but the panel tapes are removed and rivits in place. Cant see them very well in the photos but im hopeing that they will show in natural light.

Again, you cant see it but there are plates with rivits in here.

Cartridge exits cut and hatch sanded. Thats it for now.

rrrrrrrrrrrr

See you all in two weeks were hopefully the fun stuff begins.
Cheers, Craig.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,
Back again for a while and will be putting some attention into the wing.
Hopefully have a fully working and painted wing by the time I go back.

The exhaust problem is now resolved, or best it can be.
I will have to cut the cowl again but I can live with it.

I am now leaving some scale details out and will work on them at a later date, namely the underside of the wing and a few other things.

I can always go back for refurbs.

I'll post a couple of pics in the next few days, cheers all.