Hi from South Africa

Hi All

I am from the good old RSA and just love flying and more so building things that fly. I have been at it for 2 years now.
Started with a 40 size stick, which came to a very untimely end while comming in to land, to slowly, stalled and well the rest is history.

I am very interrested in building with depron so the smaller electric planes are what I do. Just recently finished a 44" wing span tiger moth.

My hanger consists of 2 SE5a's, the tiger, an EDF Hawk (RTF), a twin boom plane made from scrap foam (flys awsome), a flying wing. and another own desine I call a PD Special, it is what I did most of my learning with. It can do everything you want while learning and just floats in to come and land (has a full profile wing and fuse)

Advert

Donald
Like you I found Depron a fascinating material that you really can "build" with and is well suited to "leccy" flight.
It is of course much lighter than balsa but Its actual strength to weight ratio is similar although a bit more flexible, which can be good thing!
I found that a moncoque type structure works well as it keeps the stresses low and spread throughout the material.
My initial "built up" all Depron wing using 4mm sheet.
The completed wing and aileron. The only balsa in the structure is the leading edge.
Where higher stresses are unavoidable I found simple balsa works well as it can be glued very effectively to the Depron so the loads fully transferred.
The composite balsa/depron/balsa spar used in the thin (9% t/c ratio) version wing.
Although everything is glued I found that ordinary Sellotape significantly reinforces any joint.
The leading edge on this wing is 6mm Depron sanded to profile and covered with Sellotape, in this case really for strength but to provide a smooth surface.
The completed 40" span wing weighs just over 2oz and that includes the two aileron servos yet is easily supports a 14oz plane pulling the tightest loop!
I hope this helps.
Depron rules ok!