Dremel three jaw chuck

Plummet

A warning  - just in case

I saw on one of the forums (forii) that there was a three jaw chuck available for the dremel.  Since I am sick of shuffling collets when using my flexible shaft (keep your comments to yourself here) I thought I would investigate.

We do have a genuine dremel tool, but the flexible shaft is on a scroll saw that I got, if I remember correctly, as a cheapo from Screwfix.

Anyway - the problem.

The dremel chuck seems to attach happily on the flexible shaft, but the chuck does not appear to work.

The reason is that the thread on the chuck is ALMOST the same as the thread on the flexible drive, but not quite.  The chuck will go on for about three turns.  On a genuine dremel shaft it screws on a lot further.  Despite my first thoughts, the outer casing of the dremel chuck is all one piece, not two pieces as on a larger power-drill chuck.

So, if you have a dremelish tool then check carefully before you buy a dremel chuck for it.  

Hope this helps,

Plummet

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

The only way I got around this problem is to make a 'plug' that fits into the end of the shaft which pushes the jaws up inside the chuck, there is also the problem that most rotory tools use an 8mm thread but Dremel in their worldly wisdom uses a 7mm.
I also have two B&D clones that work well and have nice smooth motors variable 4K to 18k rpm and strangly enough uses the 7mm chuck,

regards,        Terry

Hi Plummet,

as this is the helpful "all singing all dancing" forum I'll tell you that the plural of 'forum' is 'fora'. Its from the Latin and the same as datum/data, stadium/stadia, erratum/errata etc. They are second declension neuter nouns, always ending in -um in the nominative and accussative and -a in the plural. Just thought you might like to know  

Now I bet you never thought you'd find that out on an RC models forum - but that's "modelflying" for you - all things to all men! (and probably women too come to that!) - eschew the rest - stick with the best!

BEB

Actually it wouldn't help much Terry! Church Latin is significantly different from classical Latin becuase the church continued with Latin as an everyday language long after it had dropped from general use. They therefore continued to "develop" the language and it gradually, over 1500 years!, diverted from the classical form. If you learn Classical Latin you almost need a "conversion course" to be able to read the church/legal/academic Latin of the late middle ages!

BEB

When I was doing commission jobs on saailing ship models I used to collect tools, I have two Dremels with flexy shafts and unopened accessory kits. two B&D clones plus a Clarke with flexy shaft and one or two more and no use for them now as I dont build ship models anymore.
If anyone is interested I have a Fordom reversable 0-18000 rpm  rotory unit but it is 110v, I used to run it off a 110v transformer (which I still have), a mate of mine sent it to me from Canada,

regards,       Terry

Edited By Terence Lynock on 26/08/2010 18:06:44