A Ws homebrew engine

David perry 1

Is Alex still planning to release drawings and articles for the rest of us to build his engine?

I bought a winkie w*nkie machine partly because of him!!  I'd like to see him produce articles guiding the rest of us through a full build please!!  I'd love to fly a model with my own made engine on board! 

Advert

David Ashby has asked me to reply to your post, which I hadn't spotted! As mentioned in the current edition, all four of the "proving" prototypes built by RCME readers have now been completed, and they all ran first time, therefore we know Glenn Royds' superb CAD drawings are accurate. At the moment the Editor is working out how best to present the drawings in the magazine. Its a tricky logistical problem since there are over 20 component drawings that require shoe-horning in to the plan format. (One drawing per part, including carb, and in-flight mixture control). I can't speak for Graham, but our target for publication is certainly the coming winter build season. By the way, your Winkie W*nkie Machine will give you great pleasure over the years. You will never regret buying it. Also, flying your own model powered by your own engine can only be described as exquisite. The first time she crackles into life you'll feel like a proud parent. My Firefly .46 took more running in than a modern engine (due to traditional metallurgy) but now cracks 10k and flies a 6 1/2 lb aerobatic model, I'm about to try her in a brand new Wot 4 ARTF. If you go to YouTube UK and search under Firefly 46 you will find a short film of my engine starting and running, and two more clips of Fireflies built by RCME readers. Cheers, Alex

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 10/08/2010 11:44:05

Alex, thanks for the info.  I can imagine the issues re publication...not wishing to turn RCME into Model Engineer!

As for drawings, I assume you have considered what is essentially a free plan or perhaps a "plan pack" whereby one buys the drawings and is then guided through the build by your articles.  That might be a way to go, it would avoid consuming tens of pages of magazine with what would, I am sure, be a minority interest.

Anyway, at least you are hoping to get it done, which is good news indeed . I look forward to it immensly.

Thanks chaps.

David 

Your'e welcome, David. Also, some of the problems I had as a beginner enginista were (a) knowing which metal to buy for each component, (b) physically discriminating each metal from one another, and (c) sourcing the correct grades of metal in the small quantities required. Therefore we will be offering a Materials Pack. I'll look into your Plan Pack idea, which seems a very good one for the reasons you suggest. I'll mention it to The Editor. I also take your point that we are RCME and not Model Engineer (which I also read, by the way, every issue). We can't over burden RCME, but we do want to get Firelfies built.
Cheers,
Alex 

I do agree that a detailed article on how to make the motor will be of interest to few. I doubt if 1% of aeromodellers will access to a lathe. Probably .001%.

In general, many modellers will have a high level interest. About design, manufacturing issues, materials etc.

But detail. No!

Edited By Erfolg on 10/08/2010 14:04:39

Alex,

I'm very interested in this project, but I would need to invest in a " Winkie W*nkie Machine" machine.  What sort have you got?  What sort of cash is involved?  If all this is already on the web somewhere could you provide a pointer.

Cheers,

Plummet

Posted by Alex Whittaker on 10/08/2010 13:42:29:
Your'e welcome, David. Also, some of the problems I had as a beginner enginista were (a) knowing which metal to buy for each component, (b) physically discriminating each metal from one another, and (c) sourcing the correct grades of metal in the small quantities required. Therefore we will be offering a Materials Pack. I'll look into your Plan Pack idea, which seems a very good one for the reasons you suggest. I'll mention it to The Editor. I also take your point that we are RCME and not Model Engineer (which I also read, by the way, every issue). We can't over burden RCME, but we do want to get Firelfies built.
Cheers,
Alex 

Fir Elfies    Blimey Alex - you branching out into garden gnomes now as well then

Plummet, There are many about. Have a google for "mini lathe" or "7x12 minilathe" or "hobby lathe".  You'll soon get the picture.

They seem to be made in one of two factories worldwide (well, China really) and sell for anything between 300 and 400 quid new, but VERY good second hand models are always available. I paid 250 for my second hand one but it is as new really so I am pleased.

Once installed in the workshop (put on bench, plug in) its amazing how easy it is to use to make acceptable simple stuff.  I havent made anything clever (hence the desire to get stuck into AWs Firelfy), but simple things that would cost you a tenner in the model shop are easily made or refined on a mini lathe.

A mate of mine has been working on mine all week and turned out stuff for his firearms, very clever and a really good finish.  Mine is true to about 2 thou, which is smaller than the marks on my ruler so it must be good! 

This is Alex's lathe.  Mine is different in name but almost identical in design, as are they all.

David 

Edited By David perry 1 on 10/08/2010 19:43:58

Er ... that Mini Lathe (which truly is superb for the money) is actually NOT my Winkie W*nkie Machine. My WWM has a built-in milling arm. If you look at the MACHINE MART site you will see a very similar machine to mine. Actually, mine is so old it only has a Chinese factory name, not a European moniker. The MACHINE MART Clarke's MIll-Lathe machine is almost identical and costs around 700 quid new. Mind you, I prefer the WARCO version WTM-300, which I reckon is better built and prepared, and can also take speed control. You can Google either. I think that you could get an older secondhand Winkie W*nkie Machine like mine for around £450. The Blonde Person spotted mine secondhand in a publication called LOOT many moons ago. The back of Model Engineer's classifieds are also a good place to start. RCME readers in general seem to like the idea of lathes. Whenever I mention lathes I get a healthy postbag. Engine building / modding ditto. Most weekends at shows readers ask me how the engine project is going, but I suspect only a fraction will build one. Though that's not the point. Being intrigued and finding out is the point. Frankly I was astounded when four readers stepped forward to "prove" the Firefly drawings by really building one. All I can say is a lathe is a superb adjunct to the keen aeromodeller, and operating a hobby lathe is very soothing. Also, being able to keep your old engines in the air, and remanufacture obsolete parts is very satisfying. A savage like me certainly would never have got around to messing about with things like homebrew carbs and mixture controls without the means to mill and turn metal. (I adore milling, even just for the hell of it). So I reckon a lathe in the shed improves your skill set and your mental agility too. Finally, I note that, as prices have fallen, a number of my Club mates have recently bought lathes. Certainly more than have bought jets, MZ 14s, or Double AXI 5330 / 30 Gold Line 'leccy motors! Tee hee. Right! I'm off on holiday ...