Seagull sea fury

Phil  Claridge

Advert

Nor did I Shaun and its still shiny covering,Ill take more pics when i figure the cowl out,havent put i the wings on yet.It has some added decals I think.and grilles in the front wing.Ive been back on Dannys thread looking at how he did the. exhausts..The dark blue at the top looks interesting,and looking at the latest Seagull Sea Fury it looks different,but also isnt there"s in canadian colours,this one isnt

I see what you mean the blue looks painted in the photo doesnt it.Ill put it together tonight and do more photos yourll probably be able to tell me what the guy was trying to achieve.The recesses where the exhaust comes out are in primer but it goes further back than just the recesses,so dont know what the plan was there.Like my P40 there is some attempt by seagull to put a bit of ageing on as well thats not very convincing

hi stephen, i went flying yesterday and was told off with much ribbing for not bringing my space walker with me. as it was rather windy i am glad i didnt.our club field is grass so i think the spats will have to come off.  as to the sc91 in the fury it had ample power the day we flew it was very windy with strong gusts but the fury handled them well. i did wonder what your instructer would say when he saw it. we never tried the flaps on any of the 3 flights so good luck when it does take to the air again. the engine is tuned near spot on and starts easily so dont fiddle with the settings
regards phil

Hi Phil,thanks very much.With no cowl was the C of G ok and how did your man handle the take offs.I guessed you flew witout the cowl there is nowhere to adjust the engine is there.Ill probably recut the cowl to fit round the exhaust,and make the hole for the head round.if mounting the cowl puts to much gap behind the prop,I may mvr the engine back,Well see how it goes and looks later tonight.Im confused what the guy was trying to achieve with the colour scheme.Do you think he sprayed it Blue at the top.Ive been watching a couple of Sea Fury"s starting and taking off and the exhaust certainly made a mess inthe recesses didnt it.Maybe they should be black

They must have been the 2 bits of masking tape I took off last night,wondered what they were for.Its OK I down loaded the insructions.On the Space Walker ,I put the instruction book for it in the car If you want it just let me know,dont know where you would put it though  you will see pen marks at the tips of the wings for the C of G

Well I had revisited my Sea Fury today and decided that if I could get replacement outer wing panels and a cowl I might have a go at repairing it.

But it is not to be. A set of wing panels is................................ £120!

I didn't ask about the cowl.

So unless I can source a used airframe, then the IAF Sea Fury project is over.

Keep us posted on yours.

Shaun,the parts  prices are just stupid.I put my Cap 232 in the shed convinced it was a gonner. after Id repaired the Texan It gave me the confidence to have a go at the cap and amazinly its ready to fly again..Some one told me they have a Sea Fury in the loft,it could b e BS,but he said I could have it for spares.I wont push him well see what happens Ill keep you posted.

Well, you are all hiding over here
Sorry for not joining in sooner Stephen didn't spot the thread. I hope we didn't chase you off, but another thread on the Fury is never a bad thing

The cowl really is simple to make, the front lip is the tough bit and you may have that still? just roll some 1/64 ply around a paint tin, or even a layer of G10/Proskin.

as for the wing, I would suggest you use the bits to make a foam wing? you just need the root template and the tip. If you haven't enough bits to work out the washout I would suggest Brian taylors default 2 degrees of washout.

Think of the detail you could put in with a fully sheeted wing

Cheers
danny

Blimey guys, I have neither the skill nor the time (sadly) to go that way a I start a new job in Spain in 4 weeks time. I have 2 more weeks in uniform then a fortnight later I'm off and modelling will be on hold. Thanks for thinking I have the skills though...

Edited By Shaun Chant on 21/08/2010 22:28:02

I now having studied the model a bit more found that the upper Horizontal stabiliser has been painted dark blue ,as have the wings the  underside remains the grey as do the sides.Ive taken photos to get your opinions,they may not load here at home so may have to wait until I get to work.Sorry your going to be so busy Shaun but if anything turns up Ill put it on this thread.

Shaun I am pretty sure you have the skills matey, remember I saw the Fury at Greenacres
Chris, what do you reckon? can we cut a wing in foam, using that hot wire setting on the charger, never cut one, know the principle though, can't be that tough, could we make one in fully sheeted 2mm depron? then he could have our wings

Ooooo nothing like a challenge

Sorry Stephen taking over your thread mate, how is yours coming along? You solved the cowl issue?

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 21/08/2010 22:50:15

Everyone is invited,as long as Phil doesnt mind,the loading has worked,but Ive been resting this evening.Would like your opinions on the model and the position of the engine relative to the cowl.I  can secure the cowl with a littleamount on the fuselage by adding additional mounts

The cowl has been fitted in its original position approximately

First impressiona are that it looks pretty good. The motor is a long way forward, can you get a pic of the motor installation minus the cowl Stephen?

For motor read engine, or i will get told off

You sure you don't want to go leccy? you could cut nearly two inches off the back of that cowl, and lose all the erroneous holes by the look of it.

Cheers
Danny

Ive taken more photos ,looked at the insructios and done some measuring.The insructionshave a measurement of 135mm from the square front of the fuselage to theengine prop alloy boss,the enggine is mounted at 130mm,but  the gap should be 10mm closer frm the boss to the cowl.This is with the cowl  being at a minimum on the fuselage.Id prefer the cowl to overlap  the fuselage a bit more,so all the measurements are out..I can get around the problem by restarting with a new engine mount,move the engine back10mm to,120mmand that would allow me to  move the cowl back more.But that means me placing the engine 15mm further back than th instructions,The room is there to do this.

Hi Stephen, the motor can mount further back no problem, by the look of it, all you have to remember is that Rx battery will need moving forward to keep the c of g where you have it. Chris and I shortened our cowls by nearly 2 inches because the leccy motor set up was shorter. We wanted the cowl shorter as the kit length was too long for the wartime Sea Fury. The longer cowls were fitted to the later Reno aircraft.
 If the mount you have wont allow some fresh holes further back then another mount is the other option.

Cheers
Danny