New TN 70" Spitty

batcho99

Cheers Danny, have now read the other thread so am up to speed. Have ordered the CNC bits and the mouldings and just need to clear the building board of gliders and rummage through the spare wood box, think I'm short of spars but have plenty of sheet wood.

I noticed you've gone for a Turnigy 270 Kv Motor, sounds similar to what I have, TGY 50-65 270Kv I haven't tried it yet but have had it lying around for nearly a year waiting for a home, hopefully it will work when I get around to wiring it up for some testing. The recommended prop on 8s1p is a 18x10, but if you go down to 6s1p you can use a 22inch prop if that's your thing

Tom

Hi Tom, sorry meant to reply and er....... got sidetracked  great stuff about getting the bits, we really are going to have to get these into the same area of sky next year, I can see a squadron of Spits now, and a squadron of Sea Fury's .
Don't follow my lead on the motors until I have done a bit of testing, I am seriously worried about getting 1500 watts out of 6S A123 without high current and the associated losses. I may have to go to a higher cell count. Remember I do like the challenge of big props so my route isn't for everyone  I need a minimum of 4000 rpm on a 20 x 11

Xoar are soon to bring out a round tip WWII 3 blader.........

Tally Ho!

hello to all. at the moment i have thunderbolt that is flying, and i am making mitsubishi zero. i am thinking about build this spitfire after that. 

have a several questions

- does anybody have a list of material for making this bird
  (it is too expensive for me to buy a kit because of shipping costs and custom rates)
- does anybody think that (rcme video) engine (asp 1.2 converted to gas) is maybe
  not enough for this plane. it seems to me that that plane needs a bit more
- has anybody put some bigger gas engine (like 26cm3) in this plane without having to cut
   too many of  the cowl.
- has someone start build thread (with photos) of building this spitfire?
  it would be helpful.

best regards from serbia

Hi Misha, the only person to start building at this time is Herri I believe. He has a build thread HERE At the start he has overlayed a 26cc engine and thinks it will fit.
The drawings haven't been out long so there probably wont be many build threads just yet. My wood kit should arrive in the next few days.
Mine however will be electric. Danny's Spit

Cheers
Danny

Well please don't be afraid to ask. There are no silly questions on this forum. There are three or four others that look like they may be building them too, but just haven't threads going (yet?) I can't say I am some sort of expert by any stretch of the imagination but I usually blunder my way through in the end  and I am sure the others will be glad to chip in. Start a thread and join in

Cheers
Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Hello one and all.

I work in a college and have persuaded (it wasn't hard) the lecturers in the Carpentry & Joinery Dept' to let the students build the TN 70" Spit as a project over the duration of the course.  This will not be a flying model, but more a test of the skills they have learnt with a very different outcome to normal (although they do build a fine full size rowing boat!). The end result will probably be more bare skeleton than skinned as this shows as much of the work as possible.

What I would like to do is post a build thread as the project progress'. But as the Dept's plane building and my own scratch build experience is low (3yr old half built pogostick as proof) I need as many build photos as possible to help them along.

So if anyone is having a bash at this fine plane and hasn't already posted some pics they have taken I would greatly appreciate a look at them.

Sean

• 3 weeks later...
I'm just finishing building the TN Hurricane which has been a good refresher on building from a kit.
I also know that Santa is going to bring me the full set for the TN 70 inch Spitfire.
Straight after Christmas I'm going to order the retracts and a Saito 125 four stroke to provide the grumf to get it airborne.

Can hardly wait for 25th December to come around!

Hi Bodger,
If you are planning on ordering retracts from Unitracts be aware that their order book is full now into december so if you wait until aftyer Christmas to order you will have a long wait!
I too have the SAITO 125 4S looks lovely! and have the wood kit. Can't start tho until finished work on my flat. Much pain lol!
Kit