New TN 70" Spitty

batcho99

Hi Danny, Yes it was nice to see you at Raydon, the weather can be really annoying but it let up on monday to enable me to give the spit a nice fly! Some U/C work is needed but all in all it flies really well, I hope the bigger Nijhuis spit flies just as well. Hows the Hurricane and Mustang comming on? 

15lb for the new spit seems rather heavy! Kyosho's Spitfire 90 (same size) weighs around 10lb and the brian taylor 69" spitfires are also around that mark. I guess the slightly heavier, the more scale they fly.

Edited By Will F on 18/08/2010 12:43:09

I decided to build this Spit without thinking of saving weight .....In the past I have alway built very light, only to find that the mass modellers public out there struggle to match my prototype.....this time most builders will easily get under this weight.
I was quite suprised at the final weight but the model was glass cloth covered, detailed and a petrol convertion fitted to a ASP 120 4-stroke, which ment an additional battery pack plus spark unit. Flaps are also fitted.

Have to say this model flies a dream.......the 62" was good but this one is a real peach....Deploying flaps hardly changes the pitch of the model and she just geases in.....

CNC pack, wood pack, split cowl, canopy and exhaust stacks all availiable

Cheers 

Hi Tony, good of you to comment. I have to agree that the heavier models (my YT Hurricane at 13.5lbs) does sit very well in the air and is not bounced around the way my 10lb Sea Fury is. The only drawback is the landing speed. But with the Spitfire there is a fair bit of wing area and if you say it lands okay then I am sure it will be great. Can we order now then or do we have to wait
Cheers
Danny

The design of this Spitfire does follow the the 62" version so it very much relies on the razor plane and the builder to get the nose shape right.....this is obviously great if you have a pet rabbit as the shavings produced will last weeks. Having said that 'slab' sided models do go together quickly and as we are talking quite a bit of 6mm, 9mm and 12mm balsa in the fus, its pretty strong too.

The tail on this one is built up so it should satisfy the purists out there...

the colour scheme is modelled on Guy Black's full size Mk5 spitfire based at Duxford. Guy popped in while I was building the model and was amazed at the detail and finish...seems even owners of the real thing can still love a model......

Happy days.....Tony

PS. Should have some plans and pack availiable at the Hop Farm Show in September...just in time for the winter building season....!

Looks a great idea for a this winter build.
I was wondering about the possibilities of either a Saito FG-20 petrol or maybe even The FA-100Ti twin in-line glo. The latter is quite a bit longer and heavier and may not fit the available space tho it is less tall.
Any comments greatly appreciated

Kit