Blackhorse Stuka

Grahamd

All the major control surfaces hang off the back of the wing.  There are 3 on each wing.  The ailerons are the one nearest the wing tip. the middle and inner are flaps.

The dive brakes look very different- they are slung below the wing near the front, and rotate to vertical when engaged.  They would be just outboard of the spats if they are included in the kit.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 06/09/2010 09:06:45:
What are the aerodynamic controls on this model, out of interest? I think the original Stuka had separate dive brakes as well as flaps.   I'm not sure if I'm seeing flap, brake or aileron in your detail pictures.   Thanks.

No brakes (not even YT include them), just split flaps ala full size

After much frustration, I think I've found another problem with the undercart.....

Having done one assembly on one wing, I found the wheel was stiff, and couldn't understand why. So tonight I started on the second wing and undercart assembly, this one was worse than the other and had me bending bits all over the place, otherwise the supplied axle would not fit between the two arms.... This time I installed the wheel (minus the spats), and bingo, major headache!!!! the wheel is 3.5" diameter, the distance from axle to the top of the olio wheel holder is 1 5/8" so how do they expect a 3.5" wheel to fit!!!! When they make the olios they screw the wheel arch/holder to the olio with a bolt, and that bolt was not taken into account when someone designed the size of wheel required, no bolt and loads of room, but you need the bolt (factory fitted)....

So tonight I've had to order a pair of Dubro 3.25" wheels.

Neat soldering on the servo leads, a far better method than servo extensions ( I had an incident recently due to an extension pulling apart - my own fault for not securing it correctly)
That UC does look neat when its all together though Graham. Pity it's a pita to hook up and shame about the wheels, bolt restriction though
sparks

Posted by sparks59 on 06/09/2010 20:02:33:
 Neat soldering on the servo leads, a far better method than servo extensions ( I had an incident recently due to an extension pulling apart - my own fault for not securing it correctly)
That UC does look neat when its all together though Graham. Pity it's a pita to hook up and shame about the wheels, bolt restriction though
sparks

Thanks, I think all those servo connectors are just accidents waiting to happen.

Well the best thing I did was change the wheels for 1/4 small diameter ones (Dubro low-bounce), everything now fits, mind you I've had enough dry runs....

The spats and skirts do add something to the model

And my chosen motor

Mounting the motor will (if the bits arrive) be this weekends job.

for info, its a 6364 230KV 55A, with a Hobbywing Platinum 100Amp esc

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 10/09/2010 23:31:49:
Thats  some motor you have there Grahamd.I cant believe theyve supplied the wrong wheels,Im watching with great interest,but have ordered a seagull Nemesis in the meantime.
 Coward... Nothing like a challenge, and in stages this has been.

My delrin rods arrived from fantastic plastic (an ebay company) I buy the assorted pack 8 asst rods for £6, good value, and even something as big as the Stuka only used one 10mm rod.

From firewall to prop pusher is 150mm, so as motor is 78, I cut the rods to 75 (allows me to sand them down). After cutting and sanding to make sure they are all the same, I used my pillar drill to push a 4mm drill from one end to the other (had to go from both ends, but its no issue if they aren't 100%, the Delrin is just a spacer). By using both threaded rod and Delrin the assembly is locked solid.

Having drilled the firewall already and epoxied the 4mm captive nuts in place, I cut my 4mm threaded rod to length and add an extra loc-nut to the end of the threaded rod, behind the firewall (belt and braces). Then slip on the Delrin rods, slide on the motor, some washers, nuts and another loc-nut (not yet fitted), and voila.

A quick check of the supplied spinner and another check for 150mm

• 2 weeks later...
Having insalled the tailplane (nothing exciting there), the next step is to fit the tailplane struts (nice scale touch often omitted in some ARFs). These are easy to install in the already cut holes, however you need to sand down the tonges where they enter the fuz as they are TOO big. Once in due to the tonges being on mylar (hinged) they are easy to install, BUT;- (the pictures speak volumes)

Yes there is a huge great gap where they enter the fuz and where they are fixed to the tailplane, someone didn't take the angles into account when planning/cutting these!
Also the manual states use cyno to glue them to the surfaces of the tailplane and fuz!!!! I've used some tape and used canopy adhesive as it dries clear and will fill the void (lucky they are not funtioning).

also installed the supplied tailwheel

Now this really does naff me off

OK Blackhorse if politics is your game and you don't want to upset anyone then don't fit the swastikas on the tail, but come on, at least supply them in the box ? This spoils a scale subject before it even gets finished. Now I shall have to either paint them on or find some alternatives.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Aero120 on 21/10/2010 15:46:08:
Graham, any more news? I've got my hands on one of these. Not started building it yet but have trial fitted all the main bits together. Going to power it with a 20cc Zenoah. It's got to have a working bomb release too.
 Having just read a review in another magazine, I wonder if we both have the same model ?

Whilst fitting and removing the supplied keeps, one cracked and fell apart in my fingers! I'd already had another fall apart, as well as one self strip its thread, so I was luckilly removing them to install some nice Kavan ones.

And what did the reviewer say ?

"Examination of the supplied hardware revealed nothing untoward, in fact the standard of the fittings was very good"

Well I'm sorry they feel that way, about using (and yes they DID) these crappy brittle parts in a 12LB 20cc powered model !!!!

And what did they say about the problems I saw with the undercarridge ?

"Fitting the oleo sprung undercarridge gave a few niggling problems"

Yeah Right

My latest "NIGGLE" the damn fin installation, look at the picture, a great gap, and worse still nothing lines up (look at the panel lines and paint)

Now sureley the review must have mentioned this ?

"the assembly of the tail end is straightforward, and the alignement of the tailplane on the fuselage is both postive and accurate"

Hmm if thats what passes for their "Positive and Accurate", god help me.

A lot of reviews seem to be gagged by a magazine's loyalty to advertisers. The comments in a review seems to overly positive much like the classic estate agents speak. So many reviews state something similar to " I replaced the hardware as I prefer to use such and such ( the stuff provided was rubbish), a slightly weak mount meant the undercarriage collapsed but this was easily fixed (if they can't attach undercarriage, what else will fall off?) and it was interesting (terrifying) to fly but all it all it's a great plane for the money!" So far I have been pleased with the Stuka having put all the main components together as a dry run my fin does fit okay. I've noticed holes in the fin and fuselage that appear to be for dowels that aren't used. I intend to fit some to strengthen the join and they might help your alignment issues. I will have to remove the canopy and remove the glossy grinning idiots! I've noticed that the covering doesn't align as well as it should and may well remove it to replace with solar film or glass cloth and paint. The shape of the plane is good and I also intend to fit my spats in pieces as per full size to make it easier and allow for the odd poor landing. The real ones often flew minus parts of spats

I've twice spoken to the editors of magazines, who have told me that they are "beholden" to their advertisers. Both said that, in essence, they would print nothing which might damage that relationship.

One was the late Boddington, some 20 years ago. The other was (honestly, I forget the name) just a couple of years ago.

I took Boddo to task for an article lauding the Wain Engine as being perfect for the scale modeller ... it being quiet and so forth. Let me tell you, nothing could have been further from the truth. Anyway, after a bit of toing-and-froing, old Boddington spilled the beans... that he needed the advertising revenue and that for his readership, the bywords were caveat emptor.

(Anyone remember the Wain Engine?)

But, really, the fault is ours, as consumers. We know how the world works; and about economic realities. When faced with them, should we really feign surprise and indignity? 

Seems to me that most manufacturers now do their product development out in the world of the consumer. The Stukas that are produced in 6 months' time will be a bit better, most likely. I do wish he'd get on and fly it. I'm gagging to find out how it handles.

Edited By David Turner 5 on 24/10/2010 15:57:30

I quite fancy a Stuka and was looking at the YT International one which runs out slightly larger and about £130 dearer. In preparation to fly a tapered wing design, I have purchased a Sparrowhawk as an interim to practice with.
Does anyone have any experience of flying either the Black Horse or YT models and are there any obvious vices???

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Grahamd on 23/10/2010 19:12:27:
Posted by Aero120 on 21/10/2010 15:46:08:
Graham, any more news? I've got my hands on one of these. Not started building it yet but have trial fitted all the main bits together. Going to power it with a 20cc Zenoah. It's got to have a working bomb release too.
 Having just read a review in another magazine, I wonder if we both have the same model ?

Whilst fitting and removing the supplied keeps, one cracked and fell apart in my fingers! I'd already had another fall apart, as well as one self strip its thread, so I was luckilly removing them to install some nice Kavan ones.

And what did the reviewer say ?

"Examination of the supplied hardware revealed nothing untoward, in fact the standard of the fittings was very good"

Well I'm sorry they feel that way, about using (and yes they DID) these crappy brittle parts in a 12LB 20cc powered model !!!!

And what did they say about the problems I saw with the undercarridge ?

"Fitting the oleo sprung undercarridge gave a few niggling problems"

Yeah Right

My latest "NIGGLE" the damn fin installation, look at the picture, a great gap, and worse still nothing lines up (look at the panel lines and paint)

Now sureley the review must have mentioned this ?

"the assembly of the tail end is straightforward, and the alignement of the tailplane on the fuselage is both postive and accurate"

Hmm if thats what passes for their "Positive and Accurate", god help me.
 Hello Grahamd,

I am also interested to buy this kit. Did you made the first flight ?

Tigris