Phoenix Spitfire

co-pilot (no longer)

Advert

A cheap and cheerful solution...You can buy some stuff called "Matting Spray" - you get it from Arts and Crafts shops. Trouble is its Acryllic so not fuel proof. No problem if its an electric powered model though! Much less work than recovering.

Alternatively, if its glow powered, you could use a matt polyurethene varnish - which to save weight you'd have to spray it really. Don't know if it comes in spray cans - otherwise you'll need a spray gun - or a mate with one!

You can buy matt covering films - or something like Solartex - but you'd have to paint it then as well.  It quite a lot of work.

BEB

I only really fancy doing it as a project because when winter comes i am going to buy a brian taylor plan from traplet of either a corsair or mustang so i will have to cover that as well.Dont want to mess that up so it would be good to practice warbird covering on the cheaper phoenix spitfire.

Is there anyway i can dull down the shiny covering i have?

You could try giving it a rub down with a kitchen scrubbing pad (not the steel wool variety).

I've done this to key a film surface for painting. It's not an entirely matt finish, but  it's enough to dull the surface without scratching it. Takes a long time in areas of open framework where you can't put much pressure on it though...

Shaun.

For spraying you can buy an airbrush for a tenner on eBay and use a spare car wheel as an air supply, just inflate it to 40 psi max and fit a Shrader fitting to the end of the brush pipe.
Not exactly 'clean air' but good enough to do the job, thin the matt varnish with pure Terpentine not terps substitute which is more oiley, pure Terpentine evaporates much quicker too.