Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

Hi Dusty I look forward to hearing about the new Spit. Should be a corker.

I have a BT Hurricane that is nearly finished, a BT Mustang that just needs a wing and glassing. Then I want to do a seriously accurate Tipsey Trainer hopefully for competition work if its good enough I have been researching that one for 5 years now. Then perhaps The 83" BT Spit, or I have the parts for the 81" BT Mossie. I am also doing drawings for a Piper Apache that I will knit in somewhere LOL

Anyway as you say, off topic really......but nobody is looking

Cheers
Danny

Advert

thanks guys, powerplant is a Saito 150, futaba servos with hidden linkage like you, carrefinish paint plus 2-k clearcote (the clearcote yet to be applied).steerable tailwheel coupled to the rudder.airoperated landinggear.
The link above is to our rcclubs homepage with a building diary
(in swedish, but with a lot of pictures)
And Danny, you might be flying first afterall, we still got a lot of snow...

Hi Gunnar, very interesting thread, I would like to say I have read it but my language skills are very poor got to the finishing stage and was about to ask why you had fitted two full size radiators as per a MkIX, but then I guess you spotted it, and made the smaller oil cooler I see you have used lots of the things the guys on here helped figure out, that's excellent. The torque rod flap actuation, RDS ailerons, and the steerable tailwheel. Would like to know how you curved that trangle section at the front with only small clamps.

I have a long way to go catch you up, so I think you may be flying before me. You can hopefully tell us how it goes?

Cheers
Danny

The flaps are all finished and the centre section of the wing all blocked in and sanded flush with the surroundings. The wing bolts have been recessed, and reinforced with steel washers.
Will ensure the gaps are spot on with regards the ailerons tomorrow then its out into the garden for the final sanding prior to glassing.

Tally Ho!

I had no cause for concern, there was a little resistance to peel the peel ply off, but nothing much, and certainly not enough to damage the underlying structure. The surface finish is excellent. It is difficult to see in the photograph but the peel ply has left a very light texture imprint from the peel ply, no excess resin and the glass cloth is down nice and flat. No flow coat will be needed, and a quick tickle/sand will see the surface ready for the first primer coats.

Tally Ho!

Upper wing surfaces glassed and peel ply added.

Name that film.....  "Hunter leader, Flapper control, bandits approaching Beachy from South East over"

Don't bother Googling it.... you will have to work harder than that!

Tally Ho!

Edited By Danny Fenton on 25/03/2011 17:44:13

Hi Shaun,
Peel ply is a 100% polyester material. Dress lining is the cheapest source, but the stuff must be pure polyester or it doesn't peel off and thats embarrasing

Anyway you lay your normal glass cloth on the wing, in this case 25gsm, then in my case I use a Jenny brush to dab resin through the cloth until its wetted out. I then lay the peel ply over the top and use a credit card to smooth it down flat. Excess resin comes up through the peel ply, and gets squuegeed to the edges and wiped off. TBH I try to use very little resin so there isn't any to squeegee off.
Once its dry 12 hours + grab a corner of the peel ply and peel it off, holding the material so you pull back on yourself. (The way you would remove masking tape.)

It comes off easily and leaves just enough resin to saturate the cloth and no more. The excess resin come off with the peel ply and you discard it. The finish is perfect for a light sand and then primer, no need for a flow coat of resin.

Cheers
Danny

Clue for the movie:
It features the early Spitfire

Interesting phenomena when peeling the peel ply (polyester layer) off the wing. The very edge that is seperating glows like a black light, never noticed before I have taken a video and you have to look very carefully to see it.
Maybe one of the boffins on the forum can identify the cause, perhaps electrostatic in some way?

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,
first time I've ever heard of peel-ply,and I've been modelling for ,let's say a lot of ,years.Where would you obtain this polyester,I would assume a dressmaker or haberdashery store.Is there any particular thickness,or I believe it's known as 'weight',of the material? I must give it a trial sometime.............carry on the good work,I'm hoping to see this model at Greenacres,all being well.You're well ahead of me,mine has no chance of being completed in time.................cheers,Mal.

Hi Mal, its pretty thick, feels like maybe 80gsm. But it doesn't matter as you peel it off. It saves the entire time you would spend sanding a wing after glassing and the mess. It leaves a finish just like solartex, even, smooth, and ready for paint though I like to go over with some 600.
It is often used when glass vac bagging, and is available from fibre-glass suppliers.

I am hoping there will be other TN designs at Greenacres, perhaps forumites could bring them in whatever state they are up to? Make a great group photo

Cheers
Danny