Tony Nijhuis 1830cm Spitifre

Herri

Advert

I have fitted the bearers and screwed the U/C in. I have also bent the second axle.
This is the result:

Although the oleo protrudes slightly at the wheel end when U/C is up, I hope I can make some fine adjustments when the wing is skinned and together.

As the holes in the bearers had become somewhat large I have filled the gaps a tad here using glass bubbles and 30min. epoxy. 
I have been reminded why a lot of people dont touch retracts
I am pleased with the general look at the moment, so lets hope it looks ok when the doors etc are on.

Cheers
Herri

Looks great Herri. I assume you have put flats on the axles to keep them from slipping? I like the idea of the padding for the epoxy. I will mix some coloidal silica in with epoxy for a fillet, the same as you have.
You are of course correct, retracts are more work but they look so much better when they tuck up just after take-off. Its another switch to fumble for when you are flying LOL

Cheers
Danny

Thanks for the tip about the oleos, I didnt know that.
Yes I will file flats on the round bits later, when its all adjusted.
I fastened the u/c today with those servo screws which have a hex-head which I bought at Cosford. They are great for servos as you get a good grip.
Do you think they are strong enough to hold the units?

Cheers
Herri

Great minds think alike, or is it fools never differ

I was looking at my packet of black allen heded servo screws, I think if they are a snug fit then sure, I think they will be enough. If they do work lose you can up the size fairly easily.

I will go with them too  then if nothing else we are both wrong

Herri your U.C.looks dead right now <nice job !> I have fastened mine with full depth self tappers .
Just ordered my spinner from Just Engines so will be able to crack on with the Fuselage soon.
Still got the flaps and ailerons to do as well.

Cheers  MIKE.

Well thats settled then  I'll have to buy some more as I want to use them for the servos as well.
I have just found them at Model Fixings and they also do some slightly larger ones.

I would be interested in your take on the flaps and ailerons Mike.
Maybe a picture or three  ?

Today I have sheeted the tops of both wings. I have also gluded in the dihedral bearers on one side with 30 min epoxy as its easier to clamp properly when there is no skin in the way.

Danny was right about the compound curve towards the tip. I have wetted the surface and now pinned it (the wing) down on a very flat surface and weighed it down with books.
I shall leave it until tomorrow to dry.
I didnt bother with pictures as everyone know what a bit of wing looks like when sheeting.

Its still snowing like the clappers here so pleased I can stay in build.
Cheers
Herri

Edited By Herri on 02/12/2010 12:53:26

I will try to put some photo's of the flaps and ailerons Herri ,but as I have agravated my left arm <it has metal plates in> I don't think it will be for a few days. 
The wing top skin is a bit awkward to curve to meet /butt  at the middle and tip but I'm sure you will sort it out.
It's snowing up here and has been for the last week, so you have my sympathy, as you say good excuse to stay in the wokshop and build!
When I did the outer leading edge I cut the legths of wood and wet the outside part then weighted it down with the outboard end supported on a big battery ,so it was halfway there when I glued it on the day after, then I pinned and taped it and left it for two days. It's a bit of work to shape so I made a template for the centre and another for the tips.
I have glued the end tips on now and shaped them down with plane and sanding block.

Cheers  MIKE.

I have been looking through one of my books and found these. (should have looked better before)
The first one shows the wheel in relation to the upper skin and the second the angle of the axle. I have measured this to be approx 10 degrees which matches roughly what I bent my axles.
Might be of some use to somebody.
Cheers
Herri

Not a lot of progress but every little helps

This is the result of the skinning I did the other day on the wing tops with some rough sanding done.

I have been checking the tail feathers and doing a bit more sanding here as I had only done it extremely rough. I must say this is not my favorite job
I have decided to try and shroud the control surface hinges.
I made up a little sanding tool as per Danny"s thread.

This worked really well.

Here the edge is sanded away to the depth of the ply. I do not have any proskin, so I am using 1/32 ply.

As you can see here, the ply strips have been glued into the skin removed by the sanding tool. They are now more or less flush and will only need a tiny bit of sanding.

Well thats it for today. I think I'll go and lie on the couch and read the rest of my RCME.
I've been saving the articles on the Mew Gull as its on my "to-do" list.
Cheers
Herri

Well I have done some more sanding  at the tail feathers after the hinge shrouds have been fitted.

Still a bit if final filling/sanding to do before the glassing stage but its not looking tood bad.

I've made a start on my tail wheel.

I have epoxed the brass bush in and hope it will be strong enough.
Cheers
Herri

Finished off the tail wheel today.
Stupid me epoxed the bush in yesterday and tried to silver solder it today
Didnt have to call the fire brigade but epoxy and glass bubbles do burn.

I have now soldred the bush between two washer and then epoxed the main alu bit on to the bush.
I bought some alu-weld stuff at Cosford but unfortunately didnt have any alu tube.

I have used 3mm studding for the axle and I will locktite the nuts on after painting and fitting.
Cheers
Herri

I started the ailerons yesterday but I obviously was'nt paying attention.
Today, I realised I didn't  look at the plan properly and made the skins too small.
I attached the leading edge to and not on the skin.
So today I had to dismantle it all and start again.
Luckily I already had some  balsa for my Gemini as I have already run out of 2.5 mm balsa. I have just cut some new ones and will glue tomorrow.
Cheers
Herri

Hi Herri, it is easily done. I too have goofed with my ailerons. I made mine from 1/16 not 2.5mm sorry about mixing my sizes lol and had to add an extra sheet and thin it down. If I had just made the ribs a fraction bigger then 1/16 would have been fine
So its not just you

I am busy making the second pocket and RDS setup for the other wing. Going to attempt remote RDS for the flaps as they need 90 degrees of operation, and I can get away with one servo. Trying to keep one eye on the weight of this thing lol

Cheers
Danny

Well thats some consolation at least  Good luck with your RDS.
 I made up some new ailerons.

and made a start on the flaps.
Here I was a tad peeved as the ply I got with my wood pack was'nt large enough for two flaps

No matter which way I tried there were always a few mil too small.
Luckily (again) I had some for another project so I could steal it there.
My nearest model shop, where there is a decent selection is miles away.
Oh well, those not finished projects are good for something

Here are the two flap laminations glued and clamped together to ensure they dry really flat.

Not a lot to see but I used aluminium profile to ensure it stays flat.

The next couple of days we're having visiters so it'll be next week before I get on.
Cheers
Herri

Well, I'm back at the build.
I have been tidying the flaps and ailerons and looking where and how to fit the servos.
I am taking the middle road between the simple servo, visible, as per the original and Danny's RDS.
Although I like the RDS version, I'm afraid it will hold me up too much.

This is the positioning of the flap,horn and servo. Here I am using the Robart type hinges.

These are the other hinges I am using for the flaps and will fit between the skin and this rear flap-spar (which has been filed out).

This is the mock up for the flap control. I use thin wire and make sure it all works and the control surfaces have at least the travel given on the plan.
I can adjust the amount of travel later on the radio as long as I have enough.

The servos will not be visible, only the push rod and a slit in the outer skin.
I will mount the flap servos so that they both travel in the same direction. This way I can use a simple Y-lead and not have to program the radio.

Cheers
Herri

Looks great Herri. I do know what you are saying re RDS it is proving a bit of work. But funnily enough the RDS parts aren't proving to be my problem its getting the hinges spot on. I can't glue the robarts to either the wing nor the aileron til its covered. But I can't cover it until I know the hinges and RDS are right. Sort of chicken and egg scenario

Things have been really busy so haven't even touched mine for a week, getting withdrawals

Cheers
Danny 

@ Danny Fenton, I would glue balsa block in aileron and wing (I think that Robart hinges are not good for gluing it in only 5-6 mm thick wood), make holes for hinges and fit RDS and everything in working way. After that you can disassemble all, do covering, glassing and the last thing is to glue hinges. 

Talking of hinges
I saw an idea recently - on this forum I think.
Its about fitting robart hinges .
I thought I'd give it a try as yesterday I did the one side aileron and today wanted to fit the other side.
It may interest someone out there.

I have a centering tool but while this is good for the aileron, its not so good for the wing side as the skin gets in the way.

What I did then was to insert some pins (old ones, which were contaminated with glue) into the relevant spot.

I did this for all four hinges. Then cut the pins off leaving about 5mm sticking out.

Then offer the aileron uo to the wing, pressing together.

Pull apart and you then have four pin marks which is exactly the ponit to drill for the hinges.
I then used a small drill to open up the pin holes as I find if you use a dremel here they tend to wander off.

I now have four nicely lined up hinge holes.

Thanks to the person who posted this idea if you recognise yourself.
I hope it is of some interest to those reading this thread and didnt see the original post.

I have also glued small blocks behind the hinges as Misha mentions and Danny had already done on his thread.

I made up my push rods for the ailerons and flaps and glued in the servo mountings today.
Cheers
Herri