Tony Nijuis Spitfire

micarus

Hi guys,
             Anyone out there building a 72 inch Spit' as I contacted Retracts International only to find out they are taking no more orders and will close down at the end of the year?? anyone used Giant Cod gear on a plane this size?? 

Any advice on alternatives?

Cheers  MIKE.

Hi Mike, there are three of us that I know of building the 70" TN Spit. Myself Tom Foreman and Herri. You will find the build blogs under the Tony Nijhuis section. I don't think Tom has a seperate blog yet and joins in with ours

If you mean Unitracts International, I was speaking to Tony just before he went on holiday and he was telling me that he was going to wrap it up at the end of the year. A real pity but the economics didn't make much sense. Tony has seen big rises in his costs. A real pity as I have only started dealing with him in the last few years, and he is a very helpful and friendly guy. 

Cheers
Danny

THanks for the answer Danny,
                Yes I did mean" Unitracts" <Senior moment!>  I was going to get retracts from them but looks like I will have to go elswhere, I am looking at Eflite electric ones as they look solid and do not require a separate servo, any thoughts?
What are you guys using?
                                        What do you think of the wood pack etc'? I'm still costing up.
                  Cheers  MIKE.

Hi Micarus, I'd recommend the wood pack it saves a few days of working out what you need and only saves £20 which is more like £10 once you factor in postage. Will have a think about alternative retracts, electric ones would be good, the trouble is will they be able to handle 15lb and will they do the angles and oleos required for a scale plane

Tom

Hi Mike, I am pleased with the wood pack in general. The cutting has been accurate, for both the Laser and the Routed birchply/liteply. I had a sheet of wood that I think was overly dried and it warped quicker than you could blink. I should really have cut another of those. But I kind of expect the odd hiccup along the way. There were also two areas where the laser hadn't cut all the way through, but that was easy to just run over with a sharp scalpel.

The drawings show the fus sides as they are viewed from the side, and my laser parts have been cut to those dimensions. This is not strictly speaking correct, as when you curve the top and bend in the tail, the cut wood will need to be both longer and taller. Tony mentions this on the drawing, but my cut bits match my plan   If you were building from the plan you haven't actually got an accurate outline.

I would mention this in Herri's build (unless you are looking in Herri?) as herri has a set of drawings from Tony directly, I would be interested to see if the fus height and length are increased in the wood over the plan, or if the plan makes allowance for this.

Anyway its stand off scale, it will be fine

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 26/10/2010 16:02:36

Hi Mike if you go to the All Topics at the top of the page, then scroll down to the Workshop section, you will find Tony Nijhuis plan builders lurking there

You will get used to where everything is eventually, then david and Timbo will move it all around again just to keep us on our toes

Cheers
Danny

Thanks a lot Danny and for the info about the pack ! I think I will go ahead and order it ,I'v been building on and off since 73, so recon I can get past a few discrepacies.

Look forward to reading the Build writeups  <and the build>

Just repairing the Storch < how can you prang one of those ? you may ask! doh!>

Cheers MIKE.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 26/10/2010 16:04:36:
Hi Mike if you go to the All Topics at the top of the page, then scroll down to the Workshop section, you will find Tony Nijhuis plan builders lurking there

You will get used to where everything is eventually, then david and Timbo will move it all around again just to keep us on our toes

Cheers
Danny

And, as if by magic, I have just done exactly that with this thread 

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 26/10/2010 17:15:23