Seagull Yak 54 (91 Deluxe Series)

Advert

@Lee Smalley, according to Supre Tigre's website the g2300 has a weight with muffler of 38.0 oz (1077 g)

So my MVVS G26 is only 23g heaver, and the AGM30 is similar at 1091g

I'll go with the MVVS, whats the worst that can happen

Edited By John Allen on 06/06/2014 15:50:33

Chaps can I ask where you all bought your Seagull Yak 54's from? I'd love to get one in the yellow and black livery but am having a bit of a hard time finding them. I'm thinking about getting one of these as a follow on from an Acrowot, any flying advice in this regard? (sorry if you consider this a hi-jack, OP)

Posted by John Allen on 06/06/2014 11:06:05:

I see you've replaced the 180FS with a 120FS Martin, do you prefer using the 120, or was there another reason. The 180FS is 1040gm, and the AGM/DEL 30 is 1100, so if you loved it with the 180, I can be happy with the MVVS G26, or AGM/DEL 30.

Performance-wise the 180 was excellent but although it originally squeezed through the club noise test, I was getting observations that it was rather noisy in the air. A 120 came along at a decent price so I put that in as I did have to admit that it sounded quite raucous and it flies more than adequately although with noticeably reduced vertical performance.

The noise might be something to do with the particular engine as it had suffered a heavy impact in a previous model and seems to vibrate a bit more than I'd remembered - although it was in a very solid scratch built model before and big singles aren't noted for smooth running anyway. I did check the crankshaft run-out but couldn't detect anything out of true.

If you look on page 16 of this thread there's an video of it flying on the 180 on an early flight.

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/06/2014 20:03:18

• 2 months later...

I've finally gotten around to building the Yak, I'm putting a DLE20 in, and had a right pain re-drilling the firewall. Now I'm on to the tail end, and the threaded rod for the rudder is not threaded all the way through, so will need to fix that. So I moved onto the turnbuckles for the horizontal stab, and they are too short, can get the nut on, even when using only one washer on the underside.

anyone else have similar problems??

Edited By John Allen on 31/08/2014 20:53:15

I bought one at Cosford and I`m not far off through putting it together, I`m also using a DLE 20.

I couldn't get the nut on turnbuckle with washers so I soaked the area with some thin cyano to harden it up a bit and went with just the nut, My threaded rod for the Rudder was just threaded enough to nip up tight when using one of the big Ali washers, normal washer, spring washer then nut,

Didn't have any problem drilling the Firewall though, what was up with yours ?

Firewall problems were all mine. I marked the locations of existing holes in a cardboard template, rotated the template for inverted mounting, then widened as necessary, drilled holes, and damn not wide enough, just barely. Its quite difficult to drill when you're nearly there.

I glassed up the entire firewall, rock solid.

Edited By John Allen on 01/09/2014 09:25:50

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

I had a Seagull Yak 54 with am OS91 2 stroke up front, She was a lovely flier used her for the B and Examiners she had no vices. Only had her for about 18 months she had over 50 flights when I fought lets try a snap roll on top off a loop nice and easy not to fast perfect then wait the left wing looks funny, No wonder the left wing ripped straight out off the fuselage and ripped in half to come of the wing tube well that was that could not regain control straight into the ground and straight into the bin. This has put me off Seagull models as this has happened twice now the other was the spacewalker on her maiden doing some circuits the tail started to flap she had broken in two and off course landed into the ground on inspection the longerons where not up to the job only soft balsa not even fitted correctly.

Anyway would have another Yak 54 but different manufactory.

Sorry dude I have had two of these lost the first to a mid air after 12 months and immediately bought another, I hammered them both full power inverted flat spins, blenders, etc and never once even looked like letting go, in fact I don't think any seagull kit has ever let me down mechanically and I have had dozens, I would always buy them

Re DLE20 - Super engine and bags of power in this airframe. Unlimited vertical and take-off in about 10ft. The AGM30 much larger and IMHO is far too heavy for this little Yak.

Make sure to glue the pilot's head (they all fall off).

Unfortunately, due to my pointing the aerial at the plane and it locking out, I can't comment on longevity. Remember that they are very low cost for what you get. Mine went through various knife edge & flick manouvres without signs of distress.

Notably extremely forgiving in the stall and landing. Tricky to knife edge loop neatly and some speed on the drop is required before ruddering around the last part.

I'd have another.