AcroWot electrified.

It's quite normal (and unavoidable unless you angle the cowl as well) for the spinner back plate not to be parallel with the cowl. The problem isn't exclusive to electric conversions; it affects liquid fuelled installations too if thrust angles are other than zero.

I notice earlier in this old thread concerns about battery access. I've done a few electric conversions now and I usually make the fuselage forward of the cockpit (and sometimes including the cockpit) removable with no adverse effects.

Geoff

Advert

The ofset is not just applicable to electric as IC have the same offset. . The face of the cowling should incorporate the offset so that spinner back plate looks normal but the acrowot I built had a similar cowling that just didn't have an angled face . Offset calculator is attached here . It give the offset for the motor mount so that shaft exits the cowling centrally .

If cowling isn't offset then you may have to adjust the fit of the cowling on fuz. Cowling fitting guide here

Hope it helps

Edited By Engine Doctor on 24/11/2017 11:13:15

• 1 month later...

After a lot of start/stop building, the Acrowot kit is finally finished. I eventually managed to angle the wooden box motor mount, and with the cowl on does not look to bad. This time I used Hobbyking covering, but it seems to require a high temperature to stick, much more than the Solarfilm that I am used to, my iron being switched to max temp, although it has covered the Acrowot OK.

For those interested, the power train is a 4Max PO-5055-595, Energ Pro 70 SBEC ESC and 5S4000 30C Turnigy LiPo, APCe 14* 7 prop and with an AUW of 2858gms. Not maidened the Acrowot yet, yet but my wattmeter shows 1090 watts and 59 amps at max.

Next up is probably the Airsail RCAF Chipmunk kit looking at me every time I enter my garage - which will require a step up in my building skills, while the instructions seem a little vague.