Model Diversity

Good flying weather earlier this week.....cold but nice blue skies & little wind....

Treating myself to a full day at the field I loaded up the car & took.....

My own design Fun Fly (based on a Wot4)
An Irvine Wildcard 3D machine
A CM Pro Yak 54 aerobatic machine
Electric powered Keil Kraft Mini Super c/w camera
Diesel powered Mini Tyro (32" R/E model c/w 1cc diesel)

Now thats what I call a diverse set of models  & it got me thinking.....am I alone in doing this or do you take lots of different models to the field too?

Interestingly it was the Mini Tyro that raised the most interest amongst clubmates who were very keen to see it fly.....it probably makes the most noise too even though it is only 1cc....

Advert

Not a lot of diversity in my "fleet", warirds seem to be the ones that catch my eye

A small fleet compared to the old timers on here (yes Tim will edit that LOL),   All electric ...

Art-tech P51 mustang
Phase P40 Warhawk
PZ FW-190
GWS P38 lightning
HL B25 Mitchell

and the odd ones
Swift 2 flying wing
Alfa Sabre jet
GP Catalina
Jamara Roo 

This hobby is really not expensive when you look at other people's entertainment, there's blokes that lean on the bar of a pub every night & do far more money than we do (that's my excuse for 'er indoors & so far it works a treat   

• 5 weeks later...
Mmm, not so many glow models ready to go at present, just a Cap 232 and Fokker Dvii, but several electrics, inc High Wing, Warbirds, EDF and 3D, then there the gliders from flying wings to 1/4 scale.

When the weather is better I will usually take 3 models to the field or slope with me, but for now I tend to stick to a couple of electrics.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting thread - I have what even I admit is "quite a few" (about 15) models (all electric, and all under 2kg).  But I have chosen them carefully to have models suitable for different circumstances.

For me it is really "horses for courses", which means that I choose what I take to our local grass patch based on conditions there.  The beauty of having a range of models is that I have some for windy days, others for calm days.  Belly landers for when the grass is thick (with mud, long grass or snow), even a couple of brushed (remember them) for when the grass is long and very wet.  Indeed even a couple of models still powered by NiMh and even NiCd for when its really cold.  (They still fly fine you know).  And in summer when the grass is short and the weather warm and dry I can choose models for different types of flying - exciting or just relaxing.  Then there's a couple of slopers (one powered one not).

I nearly always take at least two to the field (for resilience and to utilise different battery sizes), but rarely more than three since I can't get more in the car.  Which reminds me that I also keep a MPX Mini-Mag and EasyStar to take on holiday with me as they are small enough to take along even when the car is packed with holiday stuff.

Having a variety of different types also helps to spice things up a bit.