Sipa 200 (June 2015 RCM&E)

Stephen Jones

There was a talk of the Optica. The Sipa 2000 'Minijet' was a French (?) plane many years earlier. No connection with the much later piston engine Optica at all.  Any 'pusher', such as the Optica effectively is, or very small jet almost dsigns itself that way. It had a small jet engine, A Turbomeca Astou or something, and like all these they are difficult for EDF the intakes are so small. For modelling the Miles Student has the same difficulties. There was a 'Model Aircaft' plan available for the Sipa Minijet many years ago for a Jetex 150 Jetmaster. Slightly smaller than yours, but much lighter as it was, of course, free flight. Also a smaller one for Jetex 50 in a 'multi plan set' of various small planes from Aero Modeller. I sent off for the 'Model Aircraft' plan and built one. Nice to see something similar 50 years later.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 30/08/2012 03:22:31

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 30/08/2012 03:25:18

Advert

Hi Kevin ,

Yes i have been doing a lot of model flying while we have had some nice weather , a lot of the time with my son and his new trainer , Which he enjoys doing rolls with .

I have been out quiet a lot with many models including the Sipa even let a couple of are club members have a go of it too .

One Guy flew my Sipa so low and fast it even made me go geeess . in fact it now goes so fast i am going to get it`s speed recorded at are clubs festival of speed do .

I have also been asked to make one bigger a lot bigger as he likes it so much but doesn't do small models .

For now i think we can safely say this project has come to its end .

dscf1334.jpg

This one i am happy with and it has turned out better than i had hoped for and also flies better than i could of hoped for , even if i do say so myself , Hmm now where is that smiley blow you're own trumpet wink 2 .

• 1 year later...

Hi Ton ,

Well it`s nice to see there is still some interest in it . Most of my build logs do not seem to get to these dizzy heights .

Usually once a build log has got so far down the list no one sees it, and there for it remains to stagnate.

So someone or some people are actively seeking it out but whom as they are clearly not users of this site other wise they surly would have passed comment .

It certainly is strange to see the viewing figures to continually rise and not remain stagnant .

Steve ,

Hi ,

The free Flight jetx model is not too scale the body shape is wrong and the booms are too long , it was built to be stable for free flight ,

Ducted Fan would also need the rear opening up too allow the air too flow out quick enough so once again would not look scale .

Having said that there are so many models that have been successfully adapted too look like they are scale .

Why not give it a go nothing ventured nothing gained .

There is a jet Sipa 200 model on you tube do a quick Google and judge for you're self .

Cheers Steve ,

• 3 months later...

Hi ,

I have made a Launch Dolly for the model so i do not have to rely on someone being there to hand launch it for me .

sipa1891.jpg

It is made from depron and so is very light and with the large wheels should get through the grass with ease .

I haven't tried it yet , so I hope it goes ok . I also need to make one for my CanDoo .

Ton i did try to give Graham the plans when i meet with him at Greenacres i have also flown the model their on several occasions .

Steve ,

Hi ,

I decided to sneak out this dull morning to give the Dolly launch a go .

I am glad i did as it works perfectly , i only wish i had tried this method much earlier as now i do not need to rely on someone being there who will hand launch it for me .

Sorry my daughter Evelyn took the video and the weather is grey and damp .

Steve ,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all ,

Some of you may have been to the Greenacres / RCM&E due this year and seen me there with my Sipa 200 Models .

You may not of seen me fly one of them for Graham Ashby , as it was at the end of the Saturdays due ,

Well it may of been a long time coming but now that Graham has all the pictures he needs (hopefully ) the plan will be in the RCM&E by the end of the year .

I believe that Graham will be doing the build write up and Nigel Hawes will be doing a Scale feature on the Sipa S-200 to go along side it .

I have been going though all my old notes to add to the the plan and build log and any additions to be put on the plan and as soon as that is complete i will send them of to Graham .

So for those of you that have shown interest in this model , watch this space and for now here is a Picture that Nigel has sent me .

sipa s-200 n917wj.jpg

Thank`s Steve ,

smiley

Thank`s Colin ,

It was nice to speak with you at the show , It was a shame i did not fly it earlier for you to see , But the flight line was a bit too hectic for my liking and that cross wind was not for me i am afraid .

As it was at the end of the fly in the flight line became quieter but there was two large planes hovering around in front of me which put me off and it had to be hand launched into wind .

Thanks very much to Richard Harris without you're help i doubt Graham would of got his Photo opportunity .

By the way Richard did you manage to Video it ?

Cheers Steve ,

• 1 month later...

Thank`s Ton

Yes it has been confirmed That My Sipa S-200 will be going in the RCM&E as a free plan and if you have a copy of the September issue Of RCM&E you will see a picture of it on page 18 .

I have sent a PDF of the plan into Graham and been checking over the specs for this little rocket ship and the motor i used where very common at the time but now seem to be in short supplies and so if anyone is considering building this one i suggest you make sure you get the motor while you can i have found two site that have similar motors to the ones i used .

As the motor needs to fit inside the model a maximum diameter of 28 - 30 mm is recommended and as we need a 250 watt motor driving a small prop a high 2200 Kv is also needed .

BRC

And GiantShark

Cheers Steve ,

Edited By Stephen Jones on 06/08/2014 21:54:18

• 1 month later...

Hi ,

As this is a one piece model with no wheels there are three way you can get this one airborne .

1. And most obvious is to hand launch which for the 1st few flights i would recommend a experienced helper to throw it for you .

2. Use a launch dolly.

3. Use a Bungee for which you will have to make and fit a Tow Hook .

And here is how i made my Tow Hook.

towhook1.jpg

Three pieces of ply a small magnet and a small piece of brass tube squashed over a bit of bent wire.

towhook2.jpg

Assembled like this will allow the hook to self close after use.

towhook3.jpg

dscf1190.jpg

dscf1191.jpg

Make sure that you make the hook with the z bend and not the straight arm as above , as you're Tow hoop may get stuck don't ask me how i know embarrassed.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 06/10/2014 21:30:08

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...