E-Flite Sea Fury

James40

I was watching the above E-Flite Sea Fury on ebay last week, a model kit that used to sell brand new for around £85, I thought I might have a little bid on it as it was due to end on Boxing day.

Anyway, after my flight was delayed and some other issues I missed the end of the auction but thought I'd have a look to see how much it went for in the end.

Imagine my surprise when the sale had ended at £155 !!!

I know these are no longer produced by E-Flite but WOW almost doubling in price, I may start to bulk buy model kits and store them until they are no longer produced, I could be on to a nice little earner here.

Is E-Flite's sea fury really that good a model or was that just a bidding war gone crazy?

Advert

E bay is a mystery James,I bought my Desoutter last year for £150,It came with no servos,push rods ,just beautifully built but not completed by someone who had passed away.I also bought a Puss Moth,with no engine also.I fitted a servo tray,servos,switch ,battery  etc.Balance and flew at our scale day.Put it on E bay went to £97 so I still have it.Every engine Ive put on recently has made more than I expected,but havent sold any models.

It is a strange place, I watched and bid on a Hawker Typhoon but it started to go silly so I left that one, didn't place a bid on the Sea Fury although I was tempted but it went for more than a brand new Park Zone RTF which I would put the Sea Fury in the same class as, the Sea Fury however still needed a motor, battery, servo's and RX where the PZ will come with all hose included.

Crazy.

Crazy indeed, James. I love my Sea Fury and it is a very nice model but would never have paid £155 for one. I believe I paid £69 for mine from Addlestone Models.

Back in the summer I picked up an E-Flite P-38 Lightning on Ebay to replace my sadly-missed original. I paid £51 for it which I thought was a bargain, but I wouldn't have gone much higher. I think the original was about £79 and I have seen them advertised recently, although no longer produced, at £99.

Last week, I was following a pair of Veron kits on Ebay. An Avro 504N, which eventually went for £112 and a Tomtit, which made £155. Both very rare now and I would have dearly loved to have got the 504N but I stopped quite a bit short of the final bid.

Unless you've got a bottomless pocket, or desperately, desperately want something, the golden rule with all auctions is to decide your limit beforehand and stick firmly to it. Once the red mist descends, you can do silly things.............. 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
I am now on my 3rd E Flite Sea Fury!  Bought the first one for less than £60 but that died when I misjudged how far away a large lighting stanchion was and managed to fly the SF into the stanchion right on the nose!  Couldn't do that if I tried,  I then hunted around for another and found out that E-Flite had stopped making them., Finally found that Galaxy Models had two but at £70 each so bought both!  The 2nd SF had quite a long life but finger trouble finally consigned it to the dustbin bag.  So the 3rd and final SF is now flying.  I have put u/c doors on it and now have a 5 bladed prop but am still casting around for a suitable prop driver as the hub is much thicker than the supplied 2 blader.  If anyone is interested I'll put a picture of the SF up once I get the prop mounted.