Hawker Cygnet

Tim Hooper

Advert

Tim,

I have an ic Blackhorse Trainer,ep Easy Glider, (I put a brushless motor in it ), the model shop gave me a brushless ESC so I took it down to fly but the motor cut when I gave it full throttle thats how I found out that he should have given me a brushed ESC. Charles Goldberg J3 Cub built from a kit and ic OS 46 powered, a Piper Pacer built from a plan and OS46 powered thinking of conversion to EP. An RCME free plan of my interpretation of Alex Whittakers Bushwacker with an Enya 19 for power. Sorry but I just like building.

Yesterday I put a tongue in the front of the hatch and am going to put a couple of screws in the back that should hold it down. Must remember to check the ESC settings too, then all that remains is a pilot. Or should I say a "TEST PILOT."

Ted.

Tim,

I soldered and installed battery etc. and careful to keep an eye on the Tx throttle position and slowly moved the stick towards full down when the motor started, I quickly moved the stick fully down to shut the power off, and thats when I suddenly remembered that in the OS 46 powered Pacer I had reversed the throttle servo rather than turn the servo around. By now the Cyggie had jumped forward and hit some fibre board that protected a small wardrobe at that end of the bench, the prop had shattered, the cowl had been ripped off complete with motor mount and no sign of the dummy engines, however I had been testing with the front hatch off so it only took a second topull the plug and stop the engine. I have reinstalled the motor, patched the cowl, found the slightly damaged dummies and most important of all created a Cygnet on the transmitter!!

This is what I call bad luck. But things like those happen, we cannot be carefull enough while checking servo directions. I think a checklist for new models would help not to forget all the necessary steps to program and to test a new model without nasty surprises. I saw for instance a supermodel being destroyed because of reversed aileron directions...

VA

Vecchio Not really bad luck either stupidity or a Seniors moment.

Tim Now that is what I call intelligence or common sense! I read somewhere never to run any motor without a prop. but it is something that I will always do from now on.

Thank you both smiley notfrown

Ted.

Tim,

You have nothing to be sorry for.

I have to wait because all the model etc. shops are closed most for two days. Don't forget there is a horse race on Tuesday and most places close on Monday and Tuesday. I've e-mailed the hobby shop but even if he remembers to put the new prop in the post it takes four full days before arriving on the doorstep. one dummy engine needs refit of elec wires, a couple of fins and inlet and exhaust pipes. These are elec. wire painted gold. Apart from that the model's raring to go.

Ted

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Has anybody else built one of these from the cnc kit? I have nearly completed the left hand upper wing and am looking at adding the riblets as the final job. Only thing is in the kit there is only one sheet with 30 riblets. As far as I can see there are 30 (29 and a bit anyway) required for each wing half. Am I missing a sheet of riblets or am I misinterpreting the plans?

Mind you there is no right hand wing shown on the plan either so who knowsindecision

Andrew.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally received another set of 30 riblets today. Looks like the cutting/packing list is wrong for the kit so anyone ordering this kit needs to check this.

Also check the wing spars provided. Mine were certainly not hard balsa, quite the opposite, they are cut from some very soft sheet. Either replace with hard balsa or what I did was to add a strip of 0.5mm carbon to one face.

Andrew.

Top wing is nearing completion. All 60 riblets in place and looking good.

Another issue with the riblet parts is that they are a tad too small. Compared to the front rib parts R1 they are about 0.75 mm to short. This makes fitting them interesting.

037.jpg

My solution has been to add a fillet to the rear of the LE and another to the front of the main spar. The fillet is the width of the gap between the riblets and simply fixed with CA. This then not only provides something to glue the riblets to but also aids in getting them properly aligned.

001.jpg

Should have some pics of the completed wing shortly.

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Eastland on 22/01/2014 22:16:21

Hi VA, thanks for the suggestion but I am not sure my building skills are up to the same standards as some of the others on here so would hate to embarrass myself with a full blog.

As I am using the cnc pack then I think it is worth highlighting the issues specific to that for future builders. If I come across any other issues that I think need more explaining then I will add those in as well but so far between the original magazine article and this blog most things have been fairly clear.

Andrew