EDF40mm twin TSR2

Ady Hayward

Hi Adrian.  That would be great to have Tailerons like the real thing.  perhaps having a air bleed from the ducts to the flaps would be OTT, but I will have a go myself and operates when the flaps go down and linked with a small door to the duct wall.  The model size would have to be a bit larger to make it work. It is a pipe dream at the moment as I better build a few models first to gain experience.
Keith

Advert

A bit more progress. The fin is a built up structure from 1/16" balsa, weighs 8 grams and is strong enough for the job. The rear fuselage section looks like it is going to work and slots in nicely to the fin. The fan units should be a snug fit in the rear ducts so very little restraint will be needed for them. The final part of the rear duct will be tapering to 36mm diameter.

Adrian

Looking at the last pics the fans are mounted in a sub assembly at the rear of the fuse?

Very good idea. 

(I will probably add a build thread for mine as it is still 'work in progress' and despite having flown several times is being revised as we speak...)

Posted by Ady Hayward on 07/01/2011 19:49:04:
Craig, Wolfie,Both models are awesome. Please post some info about them.....Inspiration for us all
Adrian

Hi Ady,

The pics of the TSR2 that I posted were being built by club mate Peter Johnson on behalf of Keith Mitchell for  for the LMA circuit, as I understand it sadly the project has been put on hold

Yours is looking very good, are you able to produce a set of plans?

Craig 

Edited By Craig Carr on 10/01/2011 09:15:54

Hi Craig,
The 1/4 scale TSR2 is very impressive and is sure to be a favourite at the LMA shows.
 I have a set of working plans as shown on the first page. Everything fits on to an A0 sheet but it is still WIP as there are some adjustments to be made as I go along. Hopefully I will get it sorted in a couple of weeks.

Adrian

A little more woodwork done.
Got the lower sheeting on the rear fuselage section. Soft 3/32" sheet wraps around nicely. Just make sure the grain is along the axis of the tight corner. The double tube structure is extremely strong so will allow lightening holes to be created in the formers to shave off a few grammes of weight.

Adrian

Well, 
The rotten weather here this weekend has aided the build somewhat. The taileron control links are in and the lower fuselage is planked. This will stay much like this until installation of the speed controllers and fans.  The weight of the fuselage, fin and rear ducts is 150 gram. Next in line will be the wing.

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 16:44:20

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 16:48:26

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 16:49:46

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 16:50:51

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 16:59:15

Thanks Terry,

Things may slow a little as I'm awaiting delivery of some new fan units which could take a couple of weeks to get here. The wing is already framed up and awaiting the lower sheeting. It will be a Clark Y section for simplicity so will be easy to build.

Adrian

I'm still having issues with postings as any text I do seems to not carry over. This is via text in wordpad and copy across.

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:09:27

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:12:04

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:12:48

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:13:37

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:14:47

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:15:36

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:16:04

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/01/2011 22:17:17

Hi Andy,

Comming along nicely,my grandad made parts for this and others including
concorde over at Vickers/B.A.C in weybridge surrey,we ended up buying ex vietnam
F4 Phantoms off the americans because "THEY WERE CHEAPER" The tite wads!!!

Lovely Subject,Any chance of a plan for this and your others,for good old RCM+E?

PS Should be a little pocket rocket i reckon!!!

Hi Steve,
There is always the possibility of this going to RCM&E for publication, but there's a way to go to ensure it flies ok. There has been interest in the Vampire, F4 and Dragonfly (Sportster) but as yet no progress. I can but hope. The noseblock will be from balsa taken from a TSR2 wing that was being cut up. There were a couple of large lumps in the root leading edges and I was given a piece of one of them. So hopefully part of one will fly in some way again.

Adrian

Hi Andy,

That is great to hear,I like you and many really dont understand why the govenment
axed such an advanced aircraft.It would have more than paid for it self with orders from all over the world,a bit like the SR53.I would compare it with Frank Lampards goal
in the world cup just gone,dis allowed but clearly a winner,so sad,but hey thats pollotics for you!

Best Regards

Steve

Posted by Steve Adams on 17/01/2011 14:59:58:
Hi Andy,

That is great to hear,I like you and many really dont understand why the govenment
axed such an advanced aircraft

Because according to the engineers, it didnt work.  Yes it looked cool and flew beautifuly, but remember that its raison d'etre was to be an integrated weapons delivery system: hence the fact that the tubby white bird is STUFFED with electronics.   The various bits Ive read and tales I have heard are pretty clear -  TSR2 didnt work and couldnt be made to work with what we had to hand.  It sounds to me like a typical British project: bloody clever, but not quite deliverable.

I suspect that we told the world it was the dogs danglies so that the Americans would think they'd pulled a blinder and flog us something that would do the job.  It often pays to appear to be the poor cousin!

I might be wrong, but thats my understanding.  Tiz a great pity that the RAF is NOT in fact a flying club, else we'd be buying rides in TSR2 to this day!

Slight change of plan. I was hoping to have the forward fuselage detachable for ease oftransport, but after checking weight and balance I need to have the 2200 LiPo in the forward fuselage which would require a strong and heavy means of locking the forward section in place. An angled box in the forward fuselage has been made to house the battery so that launching will not have it come flying out.
All up weight will be around 25oz which is a lot heavier than I was hoping for but we'll see.
Adrian