EDF40mm twin TSR2

Ady Hayward

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
At this time she is flyable albeit with some work still to do...detailing and painting the fuselage underside. If weather, wife etc permit it may have the maiden attempt this weekend. She's put on a lot more weight than I had hoped for. She weighs a hefty 32oz and can produce 16oz of static thrust when on 4s so if the hand launch can be done sucessfully then she should fly. Two more builds are planned: one with a 55mm fan midships and foam, the other with two 40mm fans midships either built up or foam.

Pre flights are done and all looks good. Power train checks have given the following:
280W at 10v/ 28A on a 2200 3s LiPo 20-30c discharge.
520W at 12.3v/ 42A on a 1800 4s LiPo 25-50c discharge.

Both measurements were taken around 15 seconds after full power was applied and held for 10 seconds.

Ady

Edited By Ady Hayward on 12/02/2011 10:52:48

Hi Folks.
The good news is that she flies. I had a steady 5mph+ wind over the field which was ideal. The videos can be seen here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388518#post17386551

The quality isn't very good but it does show it getting away from the hand launches. The first launch was with insufficient up trim applied so she sank to around 30" off the ground, but soon established a reasonable climb. The second was cross wind a bit as she rolled left just after launch, but was easily controlled. General handling is good with sensitive aileron response, and good pitch response. She cruises well on 1/2 throttle stick position and for landing showed no nasty tendencies and can be slowed down to a reasonable speed with full control available. I broke the right hand taileron torque rod on the 2nd landing when the leading edge caught a clump of grass. It is repairable so should be flyable again very soon.

Ady

Well, the repairs are now completed and she's ready to go again. Whilst the weather is awful I will add some panel lines and add detail where possible. I'm also considering modifying the nose to take a bungee launch attachment as hand launching is a little hit and miss.
 I'll probably have a drop out 3mm pin type to be compatible with friends at the local club. Due to the long nose I will have the launch point at the rear of the battery bay, about half way between the c/g and nose.
Ady
Thumb hole repaired
Taileron re attached
Access hole to torque rod repaired

Edited By Ady Hayward on 19/02/2011 12:17:49