Alpha jet - RX installation

Russ P

Advert

I fitted a Spectrum 6100 rx beside the elevator servos and so far its working perfectly, I made a few mods  to mine to improve the air flow around to battery, removed some foam from each side of the battery bay and installed a light cardboard tube which extends from a cutout I made in the foam nose a few cm's  in front of the canopy thu the front foam seat. I've also sprayed the canopy black to hide my mods. It has sufficent power to rotate of grass, it will slide on it's belly for about 20 feet and take off on it's own which is a bonus as far as I am concerned as hand launching ducted fans has never been that successful for me, just give it a light shove to start it moving.  I also had to add lead to the tail to achieve the recommended balance point  (I am only using a 3S 2200 mah lipo as recommended) . I would also suggest putting Diamond tape on all the hinges as the Elevator hinges broke after the first flight of mine. The model flies very well and really has a turbine sound as David hinted in his review and it's not short on power, I get about 4 to 5 minutes of very spirited fast flying before the battery dies.

Fitted RX after carefully cutting some foam, ventilation holes in side of fuselage/under wing convenient for aerial to exit, connected battery which fitted perfectly under rear seat and bob's your uncle! everything worked as it should, dialled in some expo and ready to go, cant wait!

Just a thought on the expo side of things - I think it's pretty essential to have some dialled in with the model. It's not difficult to fly for a good intermediate or experienced pilot but you need to keep things smooth - don't bang the sticks about.

I saw one go in yesterday. A clubmate had bought the version that comes with the Tx - no expo and he simply over-controlled it into the ground after the model dug in too tightly into a turn. First flight - get it up to a safe height and familiarise then you'll soon be burning up the strip.

• 3 weeks later...
Maiden flight yesterday, wow!! Dread to think what my heart rate was, but it was pounding.

Flight went really well, glad I had some expo has it is really easy to over control this model even with expo. Hand launched myself, left handed (I'm right handed) and she zoomed away. C of G is exactly were David said in his video, using a 2200 lipo.

Landing was beautiful, closed throttle and just watched her glide in, a little flair and touch down.

Great model for less than £100.

I got it from Galaxy Models for £98.99, early in the new year. The price sticker on the box said 109.99 which is the price I've seen on other sites. Perhaps I got it at an older price/old stock I didn't ask. Thats for the Model with ESC, motor & servos all fitted. Just had to add Lipo and RX.

I gave up hand launching mine, had few hairy launches so decided to try and see if it would have enough power to take off from the ground, not a problem for it after only about a 20 foot slide on the grass strip it took off on it's own and looks good as well with a nice steady climb out. This is the method I am using from now on, one little mod I did to assist the take off was to tape over the two hand hold slot in the bottom of the fuz.