Arising Star

Trusty

Yo FB3!

Thanks, I will stick it to the base with this tape, and put sponge around..... How do you recommend securing the battery, i've got the 4 battery cube thing, like 4 AA batterys stuck together should I use the tape!......

Yes thanks the knee op went well, I'm back walking etc now.. and back to work.... and the wife's complaining that the dining room table is a work bench!!! oh well...

Bonjour..

Sorry Tusty the knee I meant. The battery I think must have a more substantial fixing, as if it moved in flight it could easily disconnect itself with disasterous results. there are many many different ways of doing this.Some people put a dowel across the fus. and secure the batt. to it with nylon ties, or rubber bands, others make a battery box , with a lid securely fitted. What ever method you come up with will be ok ,as long as the batt. is securely fixed. I have seen a battery fall out of a model when inverted. Cheers

Hi Trusty, no sponge for me just velcro. If your going to stick it to balsa then i would wick the area with thin cyno first to seal it so the adhesive will stick better. For your battery's i would wrap with one layer of foam the zip tie around a former or if above/blow tank then put foam all around so they can't escape.
Steve

Trusty,

I've gone with the battery (4 cell flat) over the top of the tank, fixed in with the dowel and foam packing.

The RX is fitted with velcro onto a bearer over the unused hole in the servo tray, no foam over it at all. The connectors are secured in place with a thin strip of gaffa tape, so they can't wriggle out.

Bubble wrap was invented for battery packs!

What I do is wrap the batterry pack in bubblewrap - obviously leaving the lead outside! Wrap masking tape around it in two perpendicular directions. You now have a slightly padded package with a lead hanging out. You can wedge the package in above/below the tank and pad out with foam. Againing leaving the wire accessable.

To hold it in place - if I can find a suiatble bit of bracing I usually fasten the battery to it with a couple of cable ties pulled fairly tight. If not I glue in a wooden cover or something similar.

One word of caution here. I advise you don't finalise your batterry position until the very last thing - you may want to use its exact location to help balance the model at the right point. Although in practice (especially with scale types) that usually amounts to sticking it as far forward as possible!

BEB

Hi Trusty.

A couple of items that you might want to consider fixing/checking prior to your first flight as they are avoidable.

The covering on the belly of the fuselage peeled back for about 4 inches just behind the firewall on its second outing. In doing so it exposed how thin and weak the balsa is just below the tank, mine was split. Messy job to fix as the balsa was by then well and truly oiled up. But finally patched over with a plate of 3mm ply.

The nose wheel leg turned in its clevis as the grub screw was stripped of its thread, possibly my fault, but the metal is very soft.

Rx placement is not that critical Trusty. Rx's weigh hardly anything so, put it somewhere central where you can get at the sockets easily. The fuse floor is usually a good place, or if there is spare room on the servo tray - another good place. As I say ease of access is the main criterion.

BEB

Hi Trusty, I have recently built and am now thoroughly enjoying flying a Boomerang trainer that it virtually identical other than the wing profile to your A Star.

I placed my receiver under the vacant space in the servo tray and the batt secured at the bulkhead behind the fuel tank got the balance spot on.

What engine are you going to run?

My plane flys very well and has received good feedback from the two of our club instructors that have flown it, I am flying circuits, figure eights etc with no problem. Just hoping for a lull in the wind to get my landings nailed! then I will be free to fly solo.

You must be nearly ready for a trip out now?

Bonjour Supermarine,.....

Thanks for the message, I was toying with the idea of where to put the receiver etc, I will use the space under the servo tray aswell.
I've got an sc 46 up front,.... what about you??

Yes I think i'm close to a flight, I should hear next week if I've got a space with the mid cheshire mfc, fingers crossed!!!
Are you using a flight sim in between flights??......

Oh before i forget, where have you put your switch???.......

Hey it sounds like your flying is going well! have you done it before???? how's the landing gear holding up!!!!???!! i just hope my a/c fly's!!!

Regards Trusty....

Hi Trusty, I f you have built your A/S as per the write up, got the CoG where it is supposed to be, get it checked out by a club member for correct control surface movements, run a tank or two of fuel through the engine, And all will be well. Arising Star is a great trainer.ps Don't forget the range check. Cheers. FB3  The opening for the switch is already cut in the fus.  It is normally on the opposite side to the exhaust.

Edited By fly boy3 on 13/03/2011 20:13:02

The switch has a pre cut slot that you will see from inside the fuse wall. You will need to unscrew the cover plate of the switch and then cut the covering to open the slot, then reassemble the switch cover so it sandwiches the balsa fuse wall.

Yes have used a sim but my Futaba 7c does not like the plug so am looking to buy a cheap second hand transmitter just for the sim.

I too have an sc 46 , at a fairly rich setting it will take 4/5 tanks till it loosens up nicely, I ran 2 through mine on the ground at high throttle 3 mins sessions, and the rest during flights. Had a deadstick first flight after about half a tank but my ever calm instructor landed no problem(FF for the buddy box!)

The landing gear gives up on all but perfect touchdowns, but as my instructor says its good to have the weak link here as it is just a matter of bending it back into shape.

As long as your CofG is just edging nose down at the centre point between the 2 measurement given in the book she will fly like a dream. The chaps at MC mfc will help with this and also give it a good look over before the first flight.

BEB / supermarine,

Thanks for the reply, field visit was ace! met my instructor Dave, he's fine tuned my a/c, thanks dave!....... And I was given a flight on a boomerang!! great, and I didn't crash!!!

A big thanks to the mid cheshire mfc..... my new club!

How are the landings going supermarine, hopefully it wasn't too windy!!!

Trusty...

Flying low is one of the great moves - the "low pass" will always remain high on everone's list.

It is hard work for newer pilots - there is always the view that in height lies safety. You will get more comfortable being low as you practice more. Also when it comes to actually landing you will be slowing the model down a fair bit and that makes things easier.

BEB

Yo Supermarine!,

Sounds like your off to a great start, the weather is ace at the mo, are you flying at the weekend?

I didin't use the star on the first visit, as she needed a bit of tweaking and tightening, however she's been given the all clear now and is ready!!!!

Hopefully I will be down the field on sunday...........great......... Better ask the wife first!!!!!!

Happy flying!!

trusty...

• 3 weeks later...
How's the flying going Trusty? I had a great two days last weekend and am just having a coffee before loading the car up and heading out today,

I made five landings last time out and only fluffed one slightly bending the nose wheel.

They tell me its not long before I go solo and then take my A.... Hope not