Flying tomorrow?

Geoff Smith 1

Hiya all. Now I'm not going to say this too loud but it looks like the weather  will not be too bad tomorrow. If I get the chance I will maiden the Cessna but prior to that of course I will need to range check my radio. Can you give me some pointers how to do this properly as it is not covered in the manual. Cheers my friends
Geoff 

Advert

Hiya Wingman, typical me, half of necessary information again. It's a 2.4g system and it's the radio (cheap) supplied with the Art Tech Cessna 500 class RTF. There is no actual makers name on it. Cheers
Geoff 

There's usually a way to switch them on at reduced power, but each make is different so you'd really need the instructions that came with the set.

When you've found the setting that sets the transmitter to low power, then you walk away as far as the instructions say (usually 30 m or so) and check that all the controls still work, make sure you do this is power applied.

Then make sure you switch back to full power before flight.

As Frank says that's certainly the way it's done with Futaba but I have an Art Tech Efly 6 channel set that came with my Art Tech Alpha Jet and there's no mention in the manaual of how to reduce power and there's no push buttons or such like to activate a low power setting. The best you can do is to walk as far away from the plane as practicable and check that control is still solid - my manual states that the range is 200m on the ground and 400m in the air so it's not the most powerful of transmitters 

Just downloaded the manual for your radio, it doesn't have a range check feature, but instead they recommend that you walk 200m away from the plane on the ground and check you still have full control, you will then have more than 500m range in the air.

So you will need somebody with you to help with the range check.

Hiya all, many thanks for this information. I have flown before but the last time was in 1992. I hope I haven't lost it. I am very new to this new technology, I knew nothing about the 2.4ghz system until this week. Quick story, rushed into hospital just before Christmas and just made it. I have had to give up smoking after 61 years and as an incentive I am spending what I would have on tobacco on this great sport. Hence the reason all this is so new. My son will be with me to assist so I'll be alright. Cheers
Geoff