GWS Zero Brushless Conversion?

Romeo Whisky

The brushed motor in my GWS Zero has died.  Has anybody done a brushless conversion for a GWS Zero?

Because of the limited battery space in the cockpit  I'd like to stick with the 7-cell NiMh packs I've already got.  

Does anyone know if the TowerPro outrunner from GC is an easy fit?

Any ideas welcome.

Advert

Hi RW,
Haven't done theZero, but I did the Bf109 from the same series as an experiment with PVA/brown paper covering. I used the TowerPro 2408 motor that I'd previously used in the AT6, and it needed a ply "firewall" fitted inside the nose (no separate cowl). I don't know whether the Zero has a separate cowl, being a radial prototype, but that would make it much easier.

Thanks Eck - is that the 1000Kv motor?  If so what voltage are you using to drive it?  And what prop size?

I put a ply firewall  in my old Formosa when I upgraded it, but the Zero is very snub-nosed and there's not much room up front.  I think whatever I use I'll need to add a chunck of lead, even with the NiMh pack under the bonnet.

Another wee tip, RW. I replaced the long, threaded shaft in this motor with the shorter plain shaft of a 2215 (I bought these in bulk!). This allowed the use of "normal" prop adapters/prop savers. Mind you, I bought my 2408 from BRC, yours may come with a plain shaft.

Eck

• 1 month later...
I've had plenty of those from BRC and they've sold them with an 18A ESC and a GWS 8x4HD prop for £12 for a long time.

I've got a very noisy one and when I looked this week, they weren't listing it.

That combo, with a 25C 3S 1300 LiPo, really shifts a Formosa.