PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Re Conway Mountain - I was reading an article by Andi Ellison in RCME & E, who talked about having an accident and breaking his leg whilst carrying models to the northerly Conway Mountain slope. It was "what would you do differently/your biggest regret" article, and his point was never walk anywhere alone. He reckoned that if he was alone he could have died from exposure (the weather that is!). In the same article Simon Cocker was saying he would never fly without very expensive sun glasses because he couldn't see the thermals without them!

Not wanting to depress anyone and al because obviously I am a mere 58, and extremely fit (lol). I am looking forward as I write this to a 30 minute walk with 4 models and a rucksack - oh and a flask of coffee. Also I won't have my usual staff of butlers, groundsmen, and maids.

yes its certainly improving - lets hope it continues to swing round to the West. With the plans we have for this event I would hope we can operate from the Tank Track car park if at all possible!!

XC currently shows dominant NW now both days, not North, and Sunday looks West and even SW by 4pm. Keep it swinging round please weather gods!!

We'll make a final call on where to park tomorrow afternoon, I will watch the forecasts closely today and tomorrow, and will place any update on here, on the PSSA Latest Info page and on the PSSA FB page.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 14/04/2016 08:05:09:

I shall be leaving home around 9am tomorrow with an ETA in Llandudno sometime around 1pm, grab some fish & chips before heading up the Orme for an hour or two flying.

Hopefully Jon, (Conway Soarer) will be up there and maybe one or two other early birds to chew the fat with?

Should be there tomorrow after 2 if the rain holds off, might also be back up in the evening with the school kids as we are grounded tonight as a result of 'Sirs' staff meeting angry

Hmmm, heres the latest. Now, as a local lad, and part time employee in tourism of said council - I always liaise with Phil regarding the seasons event dates, and consult at the start of each year with the "Roads and Highways dept" for things which may affect our plans.

In the Conwy County Council's infinite wisdom, it seems that responsibility for road closures has been passed to "parking services", rather than "streets and highways" and left hand right hand phrase springs to mind.

Marine drive is closed all day Sunday for a bike race which was requested in January.... no one bothered to communicate it to other departments, especially not myself.angry

However, all is not lost, as we have a few options that should see us still being able to fly.

1) We may well be at the ski slope site anyway, in which case MARINE Drive closure does not affect us.

2) If its not flyable at Ski Slope, then we can access the main westerly site from the summit - but its a long walk across the orme to our site ( approx 30 minutes )

3) The race MAY indeed finish at 12, in which case access should be ok from lunchtime onwards.... lay in and big brekky before we start ?

Edited By Tim Mackey on 14/04/2016 11:59:38

Just spoken with a secretary from the race organizers - they expect to see the last bike completing the course by 10-30 approx. Main marshall will be stationed at the west shore end of the drive ( the start ) and will be in radio comms with the marshall at the main toll booth ( near the pier end ).

As soon as the last bike has exited the tollgate ( they cycle the "wrong way around" ) they will reopen the road ( giving obviously a few minutes to allow for final "sweep".

She reckons we should be all ok to enter by 11AM so not too bad.

Sunday is now looking like the normal site with predicted good 15 -20 MPH Westerlies from midday.laugh

Aye sad

Anyhoooooow - We will just make the Sunday start time 11 AM instead of 10.

To be precise, I'd say dont attempt to arrive at the Tollhouse until 11AM and be friendly to the marshalls in case theres a jobsworth who attempts to hit you over the head with the aforementioned sign.

Personally, I'll be going via the church access road but there will be a marshall there too wink