PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

I'm still on for a late afternoon/early evening arrival on Friday. If flyable I will trek up with a sports model on Fri evening if time permits. I will be having a steady weekend since I'm recovering from being knocked off my bicycle by an errant driver whilst cycling home a few days ago!

Waterproofs on my packing list.....

Advert

Posted by Andy Meade on 18/05/2016 09:31:08:

err...anyway, here is where we went last year, loads of parking and easy to find :

http://theglan.co.uk/

Steve/Andy - looks great - shall I take the liberty to book a table for us on the Saturday night? Say for 12 people at 8:30pm?

Conscious we have folk staying all over the area within a 15 mile rad - so would be good to make our Saturday night plans fixed then people can commit/decide as they wish?  But just looking at the map, isn't this pub at Hirwaun a little too far North from the flying site?  Leaving those staying south of the flying at places like Pontypridd with a lengthy drive home afterwards?? 

Hard to judge distances and times with the roads being so windy.  Steve - can you offer any 'locals' advice - is this pub the one, and worth travelling to? Or are there other alternatives perhaps more centrally located to the flying site to aid everyone's logistics?

Edited By Phil Cooke on 18/05/2016 10:51:22

Yea, Peter Garsden is staying north of Merthyr, near the Storey Arms which is the starting place for many climbing Pen Y Fan.

I would maybe suggest finding somewhere around the Pontypridd area, as that is a straight run down the A470 for Peter and a fairly central location.

I've asked on FB for some suggestions from the local lads as I usually eat in Newport or Cardiff. In fact, I am unable to join you on the evening as I have a prior engagement at Le Bistro Pierre in Cardiff. Ooh La La.

I'll let you know what the lads come back with.

So here is the latest weather info.

Friday (For those travelling down and with some spare time to fly) Wind turning from SW to southerly, 14 mph (24 mph at the Bwlch) but rain forecast to arrive around 6 PM angry. I have to collect the Mickey's gate key from Abergavenny about 5PM so I should be at the Bwlch between 5:45 - 6PM but with a southerly blowing, we would fly Back of Wrecker, so at the Ice Cream Van Lay-by you take the road opposite for Port Talbot and drive for approx ¾ mile until you come to another lay-by on your right. This is the Wrecker. Once parked you walk up and over the slope BEHIND you to reach Back of Wrecker.

Saturday - Some forecasts are saying prolonged, steady rain, others say showers. Some are also saying south westerly and others southerly, 18mph (28 mph at the Bwlch) It's a case of suck it and see. We will meet as planned at the Ice Cream Van lay-by for 10AM, and please be prompt as I have to lock the gate behind us.

Because the Bwlch is so high, it can become shrouded in low cloud, or clag as we locals call it. If this is the case then we have an option of moving to another slope, Meio Common, approximately a 30 minute drive away, as long as the wind is south westerly. We can drive together in convoy for those who don't it.

Sunday - Forecast as sunshine and showers, south westerly but turning westerly, 12 mph (24 mph at the Bwlch).

I'm still looking for an eating venue but have been recommended the Bunch of Grapes, Ynysangharad Rd, Pontypridd CF37 4DA. Tel: 01443 402934. I can give them a call if you wish?

I'll keep you informed of any changes that may occur and will be posting tomorrow evening after my flying session.

Thanks Steve. I will put a link to this wording/decision to proceed at risk on Saturday onto the PSSA Facebook and Events page shortly.

With the forecast as it is, I've agreed with 'the boss' that I will not leave Friday night as originally planned, instead I'll travel Saturday lunchtime once I've helped at home with the kids Saturday morning ballet class/swimming lesson logistics - aiming to be in the area from about 4pm Saturday. If the weather looks flyable upon arrival Ill come find you for the remainder of the afternoon. If not, Ill just check in to the guesthouse in Pontypridd and await the evening meal. I think Harry and Bob are staying at the same place. We'll make a full day of it on Sunday I'm sure.

Thanks for the recommendation for the place to eat/drink in the evening in Pontypridd, conscious you are not joining us so Ill book a table for 8pm on Saturday and we can go from there.

I'm not sure on numbers, but I've just booked a table for 6 people in the Bunch of Grapes pub in Pontypridd - to be seated at 8:45pm.

I guess that if we are not flying until sunset on Saturday because of the rain then Bob, Harry and I will be in there from much earlier in the day! I'm aware that Steve cant join us and that Andy and Shona may well be settling for the night well North of the flying site so not eating with us in Pontypridd - so to any other PSSA flyers in the area let me know please if you would like to join us for a meal - if we get more than 6 I will need to reserve a bigger table

Edited By Phil Cooke on 19/05/2016 13:45:05

Count me in for the meal at the Bunch of Grapes. You don't say when but I am presuming Saturday. I will also have to eat Friday.

I will be travelling down Friday to fly, hopefully Friday Lunchtime onwards. Will be flying on my own, methinks. Ice Cream for Lunch? Will head for Mickeys as my forecast says West to WSW.

As Steve says I am staying just North of Merthyr so Pontyprydd would work well because it is a 25 minute run for me.

Yeah sorry Pete, I've booked the table for 8:45pm on the Saturday night. See you there if not before!

I think Andy and Shona are joining us now too so assuming Harry and Bob are with me that's the 6 seats already taken - Ill call them and increase the table size I think as I'm conscious Steve M and Mark K are also in the area and may wish to join us?

Hi guys

I managed to meet up with Harry Twist and Peter Garsden on Mickey's, just as it began to rain. I think they managed to fly in the light breeze but I didn't. And as I was opening the gate for us to leave, Steve McLaren turned up.

Anyway, the rain has set in now for the night and will be with us in the morning but, hopefully, it will begin to clear from the west, and the southerly breeze should turn south westerly.

I will still be there about 9:30 at the Ice Cream Van lay-by for those of you arriving in the morning, so it may be a case of finding somewhere to have a late breakfast, then a cozy pub until the rain clears. beerwink

See you tomorrow.

Hi Steve,

weather looks ok for the afternoon; will you be posting up on here where you may be flying? There's a chance I'll be able to pop up late afternoon, although I've not managed to get anything flyable as of yet due to work. It's SWMBO's birthday Sunday, so may 'take her on a picnic'........... wink Hope the weather god's are good.

cheers

Ade

Hi Ade

If that wind does swing around to the SW tomorrow as forecast, we shall be flying on Mickey's. I have to lock the gate behind us when we drive up there so if you miss us, it's about a 15 minute walk up the gravel track. And if you're unsure, you can find details HERE.

Sunday is forecast to be SW again, but I'll post here if it's likely to be different.

Steve

Unfortunately rain has stopped play for todays session at the Bwlch. There was plenty of wind but we also had driving rain and zero visibility with the forest below Back of Wrecker creating their own clouds which were blowing up and over the slope, so we after 2 hours of standing around chatting, then having to take shelter in our cars, we decided to call it a day for today.

Tomorrow should be a better day and I'm sure some flying will take place.

Meet at the lay-by for a 10am start.