Is there any way to prevent this?

Hi Guys

Come over to the DARK SIDE and fly lecky!

Started on IC but just got fed up with dead sticks, fuel everywhere etc.. Tried electric and loved it, converted two of my 40 size sports to lecky, stunning performance.

Not just small stuff either, just finished Hanger 9 Pulse 125 1900mm wing span 11lb flying weight 2Kw + climbs vertical 3/4 throttle!

If it's good enough for Timbo it's good enough for me

JC

JayCee
You will never convert a dyed in the wool mechanical engineer into using stuff that you can't see how it works (and not many others either fof that matter ! )And doesn't make a sound that enables you to tune an engine -no matter what prop or props or batteries or ---etc you have with you
PS I do have two lekky areoplanes -BORING and much too short flight times & the Ezefan is too fast for me when flat out
I won't get drawn into the age old discussion .Unless you want to try and convert me of course
Listening to an engine is rather like a dramatic thunderstorm compared to the constant breeze of a summers day ('lekky)

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 31/01/2011 17:23:54

I must admit, the idea of the dark side does at times look attractive. I do have an electric Orion glider, and a leccy little depron Edge. And I enjoy the simplicity.

When they are running ok, IC does have some advantages. Like fly all day, and not being restricted to just a couple of Lipos. Plus I have enquired about the cost of converting say my ARTF Wot 4, and it is quite considerable.

Re the running in Myron, after only a couple of tanks through it, it was my intention to run the Irvine in flying. The dead stick was the reason for running it up again at home!

OK.OK,

I know I can't convert everyone The guy who introduced me to flying is an IC fanatic and I think when I converted to electric i went right down in his estimations

He lives a few doors away, every day when I pass his house whatever the weather the garage door is open and there is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke stripped down for repair and he loves it

Each to our own.

JC

Hi Bob

<When they are running ok, IC does have some advantages. Like fly all day, and not being restricted to just a couple of Lipos. Plus I have enquired about the cost of converting say my ARTF Wot 4, and it is quite considerable.>

Yes initially the cost can be a bit high, but it doesn't have to be. I have converted a Wot 4

Motor cost, under £14.00 from GC ESC £20.00 40amp Lipo 3S well under £20 from HK 4S 3700mah £25.00

Once you have three batteries you can fly all day! Field battery charger charging at 2C will charge in about 30 minutes. Charge cycle of a Lipo up to 250-500 charges....how much fuel would you use for 500 flights!

JC (Still trying )

Edited By JayCee on 31/01/2011 18:00:33

My experience with IC has mostly been very good Myron. I think you misread my 'when they are running ok'. I have an SC25 which I've used for years and I can't remember it ever letting me down. But I think we all know people who have temperamental engines. I had an MDS 40 that was brilliant. Didn't fly it for a couple of years and when I returned to it, no amount of tweeking could get it to run well. (I know they have a bad name, but this WAS a good one.) Can't say I've had a lot of problems with others really, once they are set up right. This was my first new engine in years and I think I was running it way too rich? When my thumb's back to normal I'm sure it will be a good 'en. I had just got the top end about right (the pinch test worked) when it managed to eat my thumb.

BUT, JayCee, those figures do look very tempting!

Edited By Bob Moore on 31/01/2011 19:41:53

The engine was still quite happily running, I had to press the engine stop on the tx, then go in and wrap some kitchen roll around the thumb (I could feel the end moving the 'wrong' way and new it was pretty bad!) . Put the model, my starter box and bits and tx in the kitchen. locked the house and managed to drive the 5 mins to the local Minor Injuries Unit. (Even jumped the lights tooting my horn.) I was quite white with shock apparently. They took me with blues and twos half an hour to the big hospital at Torquay. At least that way I went straight in! Think I was lucky there was space in theatre, though that wasn't until 6 hours later. Fortunately the dangling remains of the thumb still had a blood supply , so appears to have been saved. Still a bloomin' stupid thing to do.

It happened at home, but one of my club said, if it had happened alone in our isolated field it could have been bad. We do fly alone if we want.

I have since examined the tips of the extremely sharp, brand new apc prop and it's chipped. I think probably chipped as it ate the bone. Had it been say a Master Airscrew, or a German Super I think I might have had less damage. Has made me wonder about using really sharp props. One of my friends says he put his hand in a sixty size running flat out with smooth edged prop and got away with it. Of course best thing is not to stick you hand in in the first place.

Edited By Bob Moore on 31/01/2011 20:59:37

Hi Bob

Sorry only just picked up on the injury to your thumb, hope it's better soon.

How strange:-

<It happened at home, but one of my club said, if it had happened alone in our isolated field it could have been bad. We do fly alone if we want>.

I got into quite a heated discussion in a thread here a little while ago when I happened to mention that our club doesn't allow solo flying, it's quite remote and if a serious accident, or even illness, heart attack etc. happened you wouldn't necessarily find anybody to help!

Quite a few people said it was a stupid rule, we were all grown up and if that rule was at their club they would leave!

I hope they read this, accidents can happen anywhere at anytime, hope your flying again soon

JC

<I got into quite a heated discussion in a thread here a little while ago when I happened to mention that our club doesn't allow solo flying, it's quite remote and if a serious accident, or even illness, heart attack etc. happened you wouldn't necessarily find anybody to help!>

I must admit, an incident like this is food for for thought about the 'not flying alone' idea.

Chances are I suppose, if it was a leccy plane you wouldn't be fiddling about with it trying to get it running properly? You'd switch it on, put it on the strip and fly it! And be less likely to stick your dopey fingers in the prop. Don't know if there are in fact less injuries with those that fly electric?

How about a poll on here?

Your quite right no need to put your fingers anywhere near the prop prior to take off.

Most of the problems I've seen are after retrieving your plane from the strip. Unless the plane your using has a UBEC with an isolating switch you are unable to isolate the power train until the battery is disconnected, usually back at the Pitts. If you inadvertently move the throttle stick

I think I read somewhere that Timbo was not keen (Apologies Tim if I'm incorrect as I heard it third hand) on a separate UBEC switch, something extra to go wrong, but from a safety point of view it's a great idea

JC

Edited By JayCee on 01/02/2011 08:02:56

No worries...and just to finish the topic here - yes you did hear correctly, I dont use the UBEC switches as it is no guarantee whatsoever of an isolated power supply to the whirly bits - it just stops the radio signal from commanding the esc to operate, hopefully.
Every ESC these days has its own inbuilt circuitry to achieve the same ends - wont start up if throttle is not at stop, ditto on no tx signal. HOWEVER, I would still never rely on such devices, and follow my own rule every time - physically unplug the main battery leads to guarantee a safe rig. The only exceptions are on a couple of models where battery access is either difficult, or they are "built in" ( LiFe cells only ) in which case I use an isolator made from a removable deans plug etc.....again in the main power leads.

Hi again Jaycee

As I have two Wot 4's I think I might have a think about converting one to leccy (oooo the dark side beckons!)

Motor cost, under £14.00 from GC ESC £20.00 40amp Lipo 3S well under £20 from HK 4S 3700mah £25.00

Please can you give more details of the bits you used and the prop? My leccy experience so far is just one leccy glider and a little depron edge, nothing like the scale or weight of my Wot. Incidentally what is the naked weight of your Wot without electrics and battery installed. Do you fly with a 3s or 4s?

cheers

Bob

Thanks Jaycee.

I did think about pm 'ing you, but I've noticed not everyone seems to pick them up? Or should I say, I sent one to someone on the 11th January in response to a question they sent to me and it hasn't been read as yet?

With my paragliding forum you can set your profile so that you are notified when you receive a pm.

Posted by Bob Moore on 02/02/2011 22:08:26:
With my paragliding forum you can set your profile so that you are notified when you receive a pm.

Going slightly further off topic and risking a slap on the wrists... (but I think your point deserves an answer!)

You can do the same on here Bob. Click the "My Account" link (or click here instead) and by the heading "Private Messages" tick the box "Send me an email alert when a message arrives." Easy!

Edited By John Privett on 02/02/2011 22:18:13