Wot 4 XL Mk 2 - Build

I picked up mine from Slough on Saturday, £148.99 not bad at all!

I have orderd the DLE 30cc which should do it. I need to do the maths to get the 5degree of side thrust and move the engine over so the shaft is in the centre of the cowl, mind you wont be much cowl left over the DLE!

i'll share as I go but wont be starting for at least another week, while stuff arrives.

Good luck with the build Calvin

Jim

Advert

Pictures of installation:-

Wot 4 XL - Inside 1

Note:-

Fuel tank positioned at C of G

Ignition installed in normal fuel tank ared

Ignition battery installed behind tank

Ignition switch installed on front bulkhead (also have a kill switch in series controlled from the Tx/Rx)

Wot 4 XL Inside 2

Receiver battery installed below servo tray (against rear bulkhead)

Receiver switch installed on servo tray.

With this set up the C of G came out spot on, (Note canister exhaust fitted under wing to help bring back the CofG). With a heavier engine you may have to look at mounting one or both servo's sticking out the side of the fuselage near the tail plane.

Anyone spot the mini servo to save weight smiley

Regards

Paul

Edited By Paul Adams on 30/04/2012 22:32:14

I'm also planning to put at least the elevator servos (gonna use 2) in the rear cut into the fus, will help with balance and make a nice short linkage.

Once I have the motor I am going to fit it and then tape all the parts to the fus to balance, I can then work out, full or small servos, maybe even have the rudder servo down the back.

Anyone else done this?

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would share my experiances during a "standard" build of a wot 4 XL mk2 using the recommended 120FS engine etc

The kit looked Ok when out the box...with a tight covering etc ...and I had read various build threads so knew roughly what to expect ....so I glassed in the undercarriage as first job

Started with the wings....and although the string was in place under the servo holes (I used towerpro MG) it was not in place at the wing root ....so was useless ....oh well ....easy enough to pull the leads thro' and glue the two half together

In with the elivator push rod next ...quite easy to do at this stage ...I used a couple of elastic bands tho' the slots, then twisted it into the right place, then pulled on the two bands which popped it out the slots

on to the tail and the stab' is still too short to reach the tail plane by a couple of mm ...so on with a 2mm bit of ply and glue it all in place

The rudder pull pull clashed with the elivator servo badly with the long arms I am using ....so I mounted it higher on two blocks of hardwood so it sat higher by about 10mm.....now no prob with clearance

looked for the captive nuts in the bulk head as stated in the manual ....NOT THERE !! looked for the template to fit the motor .....NOT THERE !!

On the phone to Ripmax customer service ....your the first to tell us that they say...we will email you a template......two weeks later lots of phone calls....no template ....on the phone again ...I want to speak to some senior ....a director (colin) answers ....I will sort it out .... three more days....it comes !!

so on with the motor mount and motor (SC120FS) then on to the fuel tank

It fits like a pr*ck in a top hat ....so I pack LOADS of foam in and it still hangs out unsuported beyond the bulkhead ......make up a bracket to keep it in place .....sorted

Fit the wheels .....the axels are too short for the lock nuts to bite onto ....locktite needed...

fit the throttle cable ....useing a HS82MG servo in line with the cable instead of a full size one ...seems good

went to bolt on the wings ...no holes under the covering for the bolts to pass thro' the wing...more time on quality control for a near £200 airframe I think !!

Almost ready for a test flight ...just time to throw away the total crap supplied spinner...

To be continued after test flight

Edited By Tim Cope on 19/05/2012 21:26:55

Edited By Tim Cope on 19/05/2012 21:28:53

I must report the sad demise of my Wot 4 XL a couple of weeks agosad. It appears that something on the elevator control system failed. Servo, linkage, clevis. I was in a 45 degree dive and when I came to pull out it didn't deviate from it's flight path. Unfortunately, as I was intending to pull out at low level above the strip, it did leave quite a big hole as I didn't get the chance to cut the motor!! All I can say is thanks for the rain. The strip was very soft. The engine burried itself about 10" downsurprise.

I really enjoyed flying this plane so was sad to see it erupt in a cloud of what can only be called confetti. I was flying this with an OS91 FX 2 stroke. It used to climb vertically very well and perform all sorts of aeros. I did fit an Evolution GT26 petrol to it for a while to test the engine out before it went in my Nieuport 28. It went like the clappers. Far too much engine for the airframe. It flys well on the 91 2 stroke so a 120 4 stroke should be fine. I think a good 108 to 120 size 2 stroke should be brilliant. For some reason I think of it as a 2 stroke plane (probably just me lol!!)

Andy

Thats really bad luck mate ....wouldnt supprise me if it wasnt the clevise that failed ....even tho' they are metal...they seemed poor quality to me, so I wire locked mine closed to be on the safe side ....now I might just change them anyway to better quality ones ASAP

A mate pointed out to me that some of the clevis pins hadn't been riveted properly on mine. The other thing I found was that the 3mm threads in the clevis were sloppy - another reason to swap them for better quality ones.

Were you using the locking springs round the clevises? I thought they were a brilliant idea, better than a slice of fuel tube as they're not likely to split and drop off.

I've sold my XL on now, it's destined for a petrol motor and life as a glider tug.

your right, that reminds me ....i crimped all mine together because they were loose on the rods....I didnt check the rivetting tho' ....still they stood up to the first test flight

Flew the XL yesterday ....it was really good ....rolls really axial, ...not affected by the wind ...loops really tight....only problem was the motor really ....took a little messing about to get it reliable, and then I found I had over proped it ....put a 15 x 8 on the SC120FS and yes it was fast....bloody fast to be honest...but it didnt do anything after half stick, no more revs or power

changed to the only other prop I had with me ....15 x 6 and it was then too slow....didnt know such a small change could make such a differece....but at least I could land the bloody thing....it was coming in like a Jet on the bigger pitch prop !!

Think I read somewhere that a 14 x 10 is the way to go...so might try that ?

anyway, really pleased with the planes flying....just what I had hoped for really...something I could fly when its windy (like yesterday !) but have fun with, when I cannot fly my light weight 3D stuff

an currently putting some checkers on the underside to aide visibility ....its a little had to see against a gray sky so they should help

Edited By Tim Cope on 21/05/2012 06:43:56

Edited By Tim Cope on 21/05/2012 06:44:34

I used a 16*6 on the ASP120FS in my Dragon Lady to start with, changing to a 15*8 gave it a little more speed but didn't seem to be overloading the engine. I used a 15*8 on the XL as well but it didn't seem to affect the landing speed, there's just too much drag with the nose raised a bit. I'd have thought a 14*10 would make things worse.

I think the servo packed up. I pulled the stick back but the plane didn't pull up. I wished I'd changed it to 2 elevator servos. I don't think it was the clevises as I changed them a while ago when I found one missing its pin after I had landed!!

I've now got a smaller Wot 4 Mk2 with a Jen 57 in it and that goes well! The next model I'm looking at is a 120 sized Decathlon which should take my 26cc petrol and a smoke system!!

I thoroughly enjoyed my Wot 4 XL ownership and might even get another in the future.

Andy

Bob I agree...i would have thought it would have made it worse too...but I read different ?

My SC120 is quite new so maybe it still needs to loosen up a bit to give its best....If it will pull a 15x8 I will use it ...well I say if it will pull it ...it does fly fast on it, but its just that its all over by half stick..nothing extra happens when I give it the rest, but it does go vertical on half stick...will have to look into it seriously next flight, with a rev counter etc and see what it is pulling

Just changed the 3" wheels to 4" ones...that looks better and should handle the rough field I fly from better, have also started putting the chequers on the underside too,

Update on Progress ...

Bought a Mintor 33cc and swan neck header, the can exits under the fuzz, lovely.

Putting 2 Hitec mini digital 4kg servos on the elevators, cut them into the fuzz at the rear, before doing so I balanced it and had to move the ignition battery further up front, balanced perfectly.

Has anyone managed to buy the optional tow hitch? I assume the large hole in the wing (under the covering) and the unused servo door is for that?

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jim

well the chequers were a waste of time ....no improvement in visibility at all ....the 4" wheels are a huge improvement...so I changed the back wheel for one twice the size also....the SC120 is settling in now, and I went back to the 15x8 and it will JUST pull the plane vertical....and keep going ....but it is quite slow to get there.

The running has improved as it has run in ....and it will now sit and tick over for over a minute and then go straight to full throttle without o hic up

think I can now get about 18 mins flying on a tank, but dont push it that far....

Its quite a nice plane really...not my usual stuff, but has come in quite handy having it this windy weather we have had.....shame it tips out of a prop hang so easily...it might be fun to get it close to the ground and have some fun with it !!

• 2 weeks later...

i have not flown for 8-10 years just getting back into hobby been building model large chippie

i just purchase my wot 4xl not into glow engines, with advance of petrol engines now down to 10cc (60)

after reading this thread i looking forward to putting together & modifiy where needed?,

i know this model may not be a novice flyer but did not want the gloe version for the trainer

set up will be as a trainer for low speeds monovers and the build my skills again, then unleash the fire

ordered a 26cc 1.45PS i hope this i not to much power to start of with?

FTL26cc Gas Engine

Spec.
Displacement: 26cc
Weight: 920g (w/ spark plug)
Carburettor: (Walbro) Diaphragm & Butterfly valve.
Prop Speed: 1800 ~ 10000rpm
Max power: 1.45PS
Suggested prop: 17x8, 17x10, 16x8, 16x10
Ignition: DC-CD (6v only)
Mixture: 28:1 to 40:1
Bore/Stroke: 34x28mm
Size: 130mm high / 120mm wide*
Mount hole: 64mm x 64mm

deicided to a purchase differant props, but might stick with the 17x6 or 17x8 or 16x8 we will see

watched a few you tubes vids look great in the right hands,

has anyone handed this to novice or buddy up??

have flown a friends glow version wot 4, found it a great plane,

any advice/stories

The Wot 4 XL is a very versatile aeroplane. If you keeps the rates down and don't use too much power it'll float around like a trainer. Up the rates and power and it'll own the skysmiley I started flying mine with an ASP 91 2 stroke which pulled it verticle and would prop hang ( well as best as I could manage!). I later put an Evolution 26cc petrol in it. It went like a scalded cat. There was so much power available. The plane, I feel, is a good all round aircraft for sport flying. I guess you could use it as a trainer can't see a problem with that.

Andy

Hi Richard,

as far as transmitters go I've always used Futaba. Right from when I started flying on 27mhz. I now use a Futaba T7C on 2.4 ghz, which uses futaba's FASST system. I wouldn't want to advocate one system over another other than to say I'd use a 2.4 ghz system. Have a look at what is around. There are quite a few makes. I do like the look of Hitecs Aurora 9 system. One of the guys at the club just got one of these. I would buy the best system you can afford as you never know what you might want it for in the future.

Andy

Posted by Tim Cope on 18/06/2012 07:56:34:

I would recommend one of the many deals going on with the Spektrum DX8 ....like DX8 with 3 recievers and telemetry for £259 from Ali's hobbies

it really cannot be beaten in the price range (IMO)

i will take a look, but i was looking at the a used futaba 10 tx or buying 2 ff9 to convert to 2,4

Edited By richard armstrong 2 on 18/06/2012 10:28:03

got my wot 4 xl on friday, they still not correct the faults

advice please - what servos would you use in the for rudder and elevators i intest to buld min lowprofiles into the tail end, not sure of the kg required, for rudder and ele's

using hitec 645mg mostly, standard mg for throttle & choke, with a kill swtich

also how do you fibre glass the undercarrage plate, photos would help????

could you use a wing bandage to fg the plate???? never fg