Brushless ESC Timing

JayCee

Hi

I Have A Hobbywing 70A-HV Brushless ESC which I want to use with an E-Flite Power 110 295Kv Brushless Outrunner but I'm confused about the ESC 'Timing'

Do I use the default setting? How do I know the correct setting? What are the effects of the various settings?

JC

Generally speaking outrunners will be best on hard timing , and inrunners on low.
Hard timing on inrunners will increase power
( and of course current - ya dont get 'owt for nowt )
If the timing is wrong, most motors will complain by exhibiting a screeching sound or stuttering, or maybe wont start up smoothly.
I may be doing a tutorial on this in an upcoming mag - but dont hold me to that

Hi Tim

Thanks for your response.

As you may have gathered from the post my Chinese Clone Outrunner in my Hangar 9 Pulse 125 has let me down...you did warn me

I guess you get what you pay for, power keeps dropping off for no apparent reason. It was fine when it was producing around 1800 watts but intermittently it keeps losing power. I checked it at the 'Strip' today and it was down to about 1400 watts, enough to get it airborne, but the stick is flat out into the wind! All up weight is about 11 Lbs maybe a tad more.

So have had to bite the bullet and order the recommended motor a E-Flite (loads of wonga ) just wanted to make sure the ESC settings were at optimum I think the default is low/soft I have a programing card so I will put it up a notch.

Thanks

JC

Oooops should have asked first replacement motor ordered and paid for this evening

Batteries both new, 2 X 4S 5000mah  in series ( 8 Cell) appear to charge and balance well, what battery checks can I make?

JC

Edited By JayCee on 18/02/2011 22:07:39

Hi Tom & Tim

Don't you ever go to bed you guys Tim's post gone midnight and Tom's gone 1 am!

As it's only 7.15 Saturday morning and I don't want to disturb the neighbours I will do a through test later this morning and post the results here.

But so far have charged both the batteries at 1C on separate chargers, both took about the same time and cell voltage at termination was between 4.20v-4.19v per cell

I know that means nothing as a cell can be breaking down under discharge. So I have also charged a second set of slightly smaller 4S 3700mah which I know are good as I use them in other models and I will do a second test on those........so watch this space!

Having a problem getting the 'Hobbywing' programing card to work on the 70amp HV ESC for some reason, works on all my other 'Hobbywing' ESC's with a BEC but this HV version has no BEC.

My set up is this:-
Disconnect the throttle feed from ESC to Rx
Connect the 'Card' lead (the shorter one) to the programing card BEC input.
Supply a separate power supply (6 volt Rx battery pack) to the power input on the card, but no lights and no joy

Yes Barrie.
JC - Dont tell me that you haven't got a Wattmeter? What we need to see s the pack voltage under load, the current drawn, and then we can start guessing at the problem
Unfortunately not all ESCs are compatible with the various programming cards - I have 5 of these cards now for various units, including 3 different types just for turnigy / hobbywing stuff. Your procedure is correct, so it sounds like a compatibility issue - you may need to revert to the tx beep system - good luck

Ok Results!

Tim of course I have a Watt Meter

Batteries fully charged no load 33.5V
Batteries full load (full throttle) 30.98v
Max drawn current 42.56 amps
Input watts today even less than yesterday 1343 watts!

Just to recap:- 2 X 4S 5000mah in series Prop 17X10

Something just ain't right! Been onto the guys at Hangar (My Hobby Store) their figures on the same set up (E-Flite motor) just under 2000 watts !

JC

Further to the above:-

ESC Timing...if only it was that easy

8 different settings! on ESC 0- 3.75. - 7.5 - 11.25- 15 -18.75 - 22.5 - 26.25 (15 degrees is the default.

Non compatible programing card....oh and did I tell you my hearing is not what it used to be  ding dong bleep bleep doesn't mean a lot to me

JC

Edited By JayCee on 19/02/2011 11:10:55

Edited By JayCee on 19/02/2011 11:11:30

Hmm, batteries sound fine then. It would be good to try the ESC timing changes first if possible, but then again - you said it was performing fine "in the beginning".
I hesitate to suggest it - but have you checked and double checked all the basic things like wiring, connectors, dry joints? etc. Does the motr run smoothly - no stuttering, odd noises etc - could it have thrown a magnet, or overheated and the bearings failed etc.
Seems like you may have made a good decision with the "buy it now" button on its replacement after all

Hi Tim

Yes I have checked all the wiring and connections, although we can all make errors I was a Television engineer in my earlier life so soldering is second nature to me and I'm happy that all is fine in that respect. The motor starts and runs smoothly and appears to have loads of power but the Wall meter readings and performance say otherwise!

I've sent an e-mail to GC technical (were I purchased the ESC and Card) The card is compatible to Hobbywing Pentium/Guard range. But this is a Hobbywing Platinum so once again you could be right regarding non compatibility.

Hopefully they will be able to supply a suitable replacement.

As far as the timing settings go...........in the list above what would you go for to start the ball rolling so to speak.........or is it just trial and error.

Going to put it on the 'Back Burner' until the E-Flite motor arrives on Tuesday and start again from scratch.

Will keep you posted.

JC

Hmm applying ohms law to your data JC suggests the set up is quite efficient.the difference between power shown on the watt meter ,and Mr Ohms answer eg A x V =W is what you would expect. If the esc is ok ,and no undue resistance is present tn the connectors or joints ,its back to the motor i have loads of e-flight motors never had a problem although some have a limit on the number of cells .sounds like you are running the motor and esc a bit close to the limits ,eg 1800w = 30v x 60a ,what is the best efficiency current quoted for the motor?