Zlin 50

Advert

Its really annoying the way those door frames step out and hit you like that - you'd think someone would do something about them Seriously glad you're getting over it - I know it can be very painful.

Sunday - eh? Well I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you Stephen and waiting for news!

BEB

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Stephen,

With What engine u fly this bird?
Just asking because mine OSMAX FX91 overheating, and hardly gives 8500-9000 rpm ( 14*6 wooden prop, 10% coolpower MV  
You do not have any problems with cooling ? is the origional cut is enough ?

( in worst case wiil change the engine.....)

thx a lot

Gasty

• 2 weeks later...
I had to buy a new engine because I lost the silencer in the first ones crash .The first engine did feel to me like it changed in power but tuning sorted it out.Ive had no problems with the new motor an SC 91 2 strok so far.Mind you Ive had a nuber of dramas lately life wise and last went to the fiels early British GP morning,lost my old Wot 4 ,and its gone down in horrendous under growth and Ive not yet found it.I tried to get my bearings again yesterday and the only thing I found was a rather large adder,How can I find an adder curled up but not my model.Havent had time to fly lately,and my truck is full of work stuff I cant park anywhere at the moment.We are noise testing all the models at present which is also disruting things and upsetting members whose models fail.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes Arto I agree and have added side thrust,my first model did pull fairly sharp left and I spent quite a time practising take offs to acclimatise myself.I havent taken off yet with my 2nd Zlin,Ive flown it but with a collegue by my side.Latest cicumstances have prevented me from flying the Zlin lately,but I will have it at the scale meet in August,complete with ite ready to break off aeriel and "gun" hopefully still attached

Hi Stephen eventually people find out the rudder is one of the most important surfaces of them all, try this it might help.
Get a quiet day with no one around and just racy around do dummy take of runs with much lower power, up and down the strip and do it continuously for a full tank, this will get you really used to the rudder effect and how the model reacts on the ground practice just squeezing the rudder to hold a straight line down the strip, as for engine alignment if you are putting some right thrust in the engine then you have to offset the engine to the left on the firewall so that the prop exits centrally I fitted mine with no additional side thrust and had no problems

Posted by Lee Smalley on 03/08/2011 14:17:25:
Hi Stephen eventually people find out the rudder is one of the most important surfaces of them all, try this it might help.
Get a quiet day with no one around and just racy around do dummy take of runs with much lower power, up and down the strip and do it continuously for a full tank, this will get you really used to the rudder effect and how the model reacts on the ground practice just squeezing the rudder to hold a straight line down the strip, as for engine alignment if you are putting some right thrust in the engine then you have to offset the engine to the left on the firewall so that the prop exits centrally I fitted mine with no additional side thrust and had no problems

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your reply so in your model the prop exits centrally without any modifications when using the original engine mounts? This is confusing as this is what I'm doing yet the prop doesn't exit centrally...

Or, did you twist or turn the cowling to make the prop exit centrally?
(sorry if this sounds insisting just want to make it clear for myself..)

artto

Hi Artto, firstly i ignore the fixing locations as suggested by the kit, i mark the centerline of the firewall vertically and horizontally, then i mount the engine on the mount making sure the prop driver is the prescribed distance from the firewall, then i (with the cowling roughly fitted line up the engine with the centerlines marked and the center of the cowl exit, its a tough thing to get right first time!!

Posted by Lee Smalley on 03/08/2011 16:09:13:
Hi Artto, firstly i ignore the fixing locations as suggested by the kit, i mark the centerline of the firewall vertically and horizontally, then i mount the engine on the mount making sure the prop driver is the prescribed distance from the firewall, then i (with the cowling roughly fitted line up the engine with the centerlines marked and the center of the cowl exit, its a tough thing to get right first time!!

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the hint I guess I can act accordingly next time. In this case it's too late, I'm afraid. I used the kit instructions and drilled the bolt holes accordingly, etc.

So maybe all I can do is add a tiny amount of side thrust to help the prop exit more centrally and rotate the cowling just a little, if necessary.

artto