Binding Futaba Orange Rx and associated stupidity

Slowly I have been edging to the completion of my "Cloud Models" Me 163.

Now was the time to install permanatly the two elevon servos, to do this I needed to bond my long time purchased Futaba compatible Orange Rx. Now this is an easy process, as I have done it before with my earlier purchased device, that then came shrink wrapped. I did vaguely remember that some others had some issues, but still I have a print out from the web site, simples.

The first action was to plug the servos and ESC into it. But suddenly I had a problem, my futaba plugs would not go into No.1 channel. It did slowly dawn on me that previously I had fitted servos with universal plugs. The obvious thing to do was file the tongue of the servo plugs, any sensible person would do this, it is easy, causes no real problems. So what did I do, you have probably guessed, I decided to take of the case and modify it to take Futaba style plugs. As with many things, this was much easier to think than do. Firstly the snap locked case halves had to be separated, after much fumbling this was achieved. I then found that the servo board was also a snap fit, which was even more tenaciously held. Still it was done, Swiss files were then deftly deployed to amend the case, ah yes, when properly trained by the best engineering company the world has seen, it is easy. No half baked trained NVQ, which enabled you to blow your nose, but no idea what to do with your hankie. Snapping everything back in place I found that the plugs still did not fit quite correctly. Ahhhhhhh, had to do it all again.

I was now ready to bind the Rx. A quick read of the instructions gleaned that you firstly switch on the Tx, followed by powering up the Rx, press the FS button until the red flashing light turned green. The problem was that the hole for a non-metallic pointer did not quite line up with the button. A few attempts at prodding the button at an angle,still had the red diode flashing, the green diode pulsing, but no binding.

Careful,examination of the case did reveal that the board was not properly located, so of with the case again. All that training, undermined by Chinese craftsmanship. This time I got it right. Now the everything did line up properly.

No more pressing at an angle, surely all will be well. Same procedure, same result.

Have I broke it? Did it come broken? What with a programming card that does not apparently work, and now this, pah, so much for Chinese QA.

I decided to take a Futaba 617 out of one of my other models and use this. Of course this did work. But mixing elevons via the Tx, proved more problematical than I could believe. Having undertaken the same or similar process, with other flying wings and vee tails. Yet to date it took all afternoon, carefully reading then rereading how to adjust this and that, and mix this with that. Was I more intelligent two years back, does your brain turn to Jelly on your 60th birthday?

I was now reaching for my card, I needed a new Rx, as i must surely have broken the Rx with all my messing. Why oh why had I not just filed of the plug tongue? But then again the cat has cost about £160 with vet bills this month, having had his eye damaged in a cat fight. I still have to go to the vets again today, probably with another +£60 bill. A new Rx will have to wait untill next month.

After dinner, yesterday evening, I suddenly had recollections of a thread with someone who was foolish enough to have difficulties in binding. I then remembered I had an issue, as the binding process is different to Futaba devices.

I once again picked up my file and re-read the instructions. Ah, yes, I now remember, you simultaneously hold down the FS button, whilst plugging in the power supply.

Doing this had the solid green diode, red light extinguished. Apologies to the Chinese manufactures. Thinks, must learn to read properly, not what you think it should say. As for getting an NVQ, nah, if I can not get it right with good, proper training, what hope would there be with an NVQ.

So a thoroughly incompetent, frustrating day ended, with a little hard gained success.

Advert

Well done, Erfolg, it's nice to see someone candidly acknowledge that the fault was theirs and not that of the equipment.

With the number of people here who don't seem able to follow simple instructions such as those for posting pictures or videos, I suspect you're not alone in reading what you think the text says and not what it actually says!

I get the impression that many of the problems and equipment failures aired on this and (rather more often) other forums are more to do with the human interface rather than faulty goods. Frankly, I'm sick of hearing just how awful Spektrum gear is, for example. It's served me, and I suspect, many other purchasers very well indeed and the constant sniping is rather puzzling.

I have to say that, in the three or so years I've been back in this hobby, I've had very, very few equipment failures, despite often buying at the economy end of the market and we should be grateful that so much technologically sophisticated material is available to us at what are, in the greater scheme of things, low prices.

Time to batten down the hatches..........INCOMING!!!!!

Pete

Hi Erfolg

Was just about to 'Jump in' and say your binding process was incorrect, must have the little button pressed down before supplying power to the Rx....but you got there in the last paragraph

My latest orange Futaba FASST compatible Rx from HobbyKing take Futaba plugs without modification, there is a slot for the 'tongue' on the plug so no getting the polarity wrong, the earlier version as you say didn't.

JC