Chris's Webbit

Here's me moaning at the weather and wanting to get out and take flying shots, but a really good look over revealed a little more damage. So covering was stripped off and a crack in the fus was found, central to the lightening holes joining at least the rear three on one side. Glueing these splits made the V tail twist less than it did before, so who knows how long this has been like this and who knows if its caused any of the flying foibles?

The crack joined these three holes and possibly ran to the next one forward too.

Some 1/6 has been glued on the outside, with an angled edge at the front.
Grain is vertical to brace the original.
This begins to show the folly of over lightening.
I guess I'll have to do the other side too.

That'll learn yer to have a "holey" aeroplane!

Mind you, I don't think you are wholly to blame!

As long as you don't make a "holy" mess of the repair you should OK. Take a holistic approach to it that's my advice.

BEB

PS I like the trim - wholesomely patriotic!

PS Better stop digging myself into a hole with these puns - though I have a whole lot more of them if you want

• 2 weeks later...
Just back from finally having another go with the VeeBit.The wind dropped, I was available and there was still light - amazing.

However, stiffening up the rear end hasn't helped much so I started trying to sort things out with compensating mixes. Not something I really like to do.

Tonight though I added a little aileron to rudder mix. Of course the first time I didn't think, put in positive numbers and of course it was the wrong way. That did prove though, by making things worse, that I might be barking up the right tree. So a quick landing and changing to negative numbers and she's up, tracking around turns much more like a conventional model.

OK with aileron not making the tail drop like it had been, attention was paid to rudder. I'd been avoiding using it too much ,cos It had seemed very powerful when I used it to correct this drop in the tail. Now though rudder was definitely having the effect of dropping the nose, even in level flight. But I spent so much time in different attitudes trying to prove to myself this was happening that the light started to fail.

So home again now, I'll be looking at the V tail programming, to see if I can get it to give me more on the up going taileron than the down one, when rudder is applied.

Plenty more to play with when I get the chance. The Coupled Aileron to Rudder (CAR) is compensating for what seems like severe adverse yaw. I had tried aileron differential before, but that didn't seem to help. I may revisit that.

There is also an odd blip of down when I bring in the flaps. Need to investigate that too, it's odd 'cos after half a second the trim is back to OK again.

TTFN from a much happier WebBiteer

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/04/2011 22:50:50:
That'll learn yer to have a "holey" aeroplane!

Mind you, I don't think you are wholly to blame!

As long as you don't make a "holy" mess of the repair you should OK. Take a holistic approach to it that's my advice.

BEB

PS I like the trim - wholesomely patriotic!

PS Better stop digging myself into a hole with these puns - though I have a whole lot more of them if you want

Can you get these from a whole sailor?

Another breakthrough

I've worked out why the Veebit dips it's nose so violently when flaps are applied, but then returns to neutral trim.

The wonderful DX8 transmitter is adding a spurious input. Even odder is that it only happens if there is some elevator trim present. When trim is neutral this down blip does not occur.

Does anyone know how I can pass this back to Spectrum?

Here's (a rubbish) video proof.

I'm tempted to echo Tommy Cooper's doctor and say, "Well, don't add elevator trim then", Chris, but that wouldn't be very helpful, would it?............

It looks like you have spoilerons and flap settings with normal flight at the mid-point. With the flap settings, do you have ele compensation set? If you remove the ele comp, does it still blip?

I'd be inclined to copy the Webbit settings to another memory slot, take out the flap settings and then reintroduce them bit by bit and see what happens. This isn't very scientific but I can't think of a better way of investigating it. If I say any more I'd only be guessing, so over to you..........

Pete

Thanks Pete but no I have no elevator compensation set up. If that were in, the elevators would just move and stay in their new position and not go back to neutral.

I have been right through a webbit setup on another memory from scratch and it didn't do it at all, until I added that down trim.

You're absolutely right though, "don't add elevator trim" that will be my fix for the time being. I'll add my required bit of down trim by adjusting the push rods, with the transmitter reset to zero trim.