Bouncing on Landing!!!

Phil May

I have been flying a couple of years now and class myself as an average flyer .
Models I have(or had) are Big Stik , Panic, PC9, Renegade and Filton Rouge bipe, but I can not land my Renegade with out the dreaded bounce on landing!! Approaches are slow, level and with a nice smooth touch down, but then it bounces.
I've never had this problem before, what am I doing wrong?
Phil

Advert

what u/c and wheels do you have.

I had this problem with a previous model changed the u/c to a carbon one and it was trasformed.

try low bounce wheels and carbon u/c

if you can not run to a carbon u/c take a look at the existing one. Is it very springy? a cross brace maybe able to reduce the spring effect

I had this for a while, but it was me, not the plane.
It was as if I had the idea that a landing was not a landing unless the plane stalled as it touched the ground, and I was feeding in mor and more up as I approached the ground. The result was that with such a high angle of attack, as the wheels touched, it would increase further (tail dragger) and up it would go, especially if it was a bit windy.

I now ten do approach a little faster (quite a lot when it is windy) and as the whells touch, or just before, I take out most/all the up elevator, resulting in it looking like it gets stuck to the ground..

A fast landing with a lot of up in will also make it bounce nicely.

Don't knnow if it can apply tou you, but it was my problem.

I think Steve has hit the nail on the head here - the problem is there are bounces and bounces.

If you land too slow - very close to the stall - and as a result you really drop the last 6-12 inches you will get a bounce because the landing contact was quite heavy. This is springy sort of bounce, not very high, but annoying.

If you land too fast you get a completely different sort of bounce. Its caused because you still have flying speed. Ease in more up just as you touch down and combination of more lift and rebound means she'll become airborne again. Only now with less speed (the bounce sapped some of the energy) and more up elevator in. The result is often a semi stall into a second bounce!

You need to think out which of these two is more likely to be the cause.

Phil B's comments are also relavant. Sometimes with some models it really is very difficult to stop them from bouncing - because of the undercart. If it only happens with one plane - the renagade - I'd be tempted to experiment with some slightly faster and slightly slower landings, if that doesn't work look at an undercart mod.

BEB

I had this problem with my high wing trainer. It was just as BEB describes. It was quite a windy day and my first landing resulted in a rather undignified bounce and the wind got underneath and flip it over. I was advised to try a faster approach and land with some power on. But I just couldn`t get it down gently. All other aspects of my flying were ok. But I just couldn`t get the landings right and they are usually something I`m quite good at.

I have a Hangar 9 P-51 PTS that has the u/c raked forwards by about 4" from the mounting in the wing, the result of this is the wire then acts like a spring so anything other than an absolute greaser in no wind at all results in a bounce or two.

You can buy oleo legs to take the initial impact and take away the bounce but I think the renegade has a V shaped u/c so doubt it will work for you?