GOT MY 1ST PLANE YIPPEEEEEEE

lee coan

got my 1st plane today [realy 2nd] well 1st to build i have a rtf leccy

its a condor 40 balsa kit had a bit of a look and read the instructions twice
cant wait to start building in a week or so in middle of moveing .

i felt like a 6 year old on xmas day opening the wife said i was biggest kid in house

well thought id let you all know just the small case of building it now

1 little thing am not sure of and a bit scared about is covering
have read a few threads but that bit is a concern so any advice welcome on type iron on type tisue paper whatever you think plz

or wings look to be open frame work

Advert

Hope you enjoy it.

I bought one on ebay some time ago, I hope yours is better.

Much of the balsa was badly crushed around the cut lines, as if the die was blunt.

Would build OK if extra care is taken making sure everything is straight and square and properly lined up.

So if yours looks like it was "measured with a micrometer, marked with chalk, and cut with an axe" take your time and take extra care, and you will be OK.

I'm told they fly well, I didn't complete mine though, so I don't know.

thanks for the 2 threads very helpfull the covering thread very helpfull hope i can do as good [well will try ]
will get help from the nice guys at club so hope be ok
any suggestions on glues
and what size servos do i need ?

should have had a spread sheet adviceing on other products needed but not in there
all other plans and instructions there no spread sheet

also coverings is the giant cod stuff ok or go for a more expensive ?

thks again

Lee, on glue. Well you have loeads of choices and sometimes different glues are good for different jobs:

Epoxy - very strong, but also can be very heavy! Takes time to set. Very hard so difficult to sand back. Use for load bearing internal joints like wing joining, undercarriage mounting plates etc. Allows adjustment time.

PVA - sometimes called "white wood glue". Good basic glue. Sticks wood to wood really well. Good "standard" do most of the job sort of glue. Take a bit of time to dry. Doesn't sand well - goes "googey" when you sand it! Use it for most of the assembly. Allows adjustment time.

Aliphatic - very like PVA in all its uses and properties. Except it sands much better. You can choose - PVA or Aliphatic - its a personal preference thing.

CA - sometimes called "super glue". Use in very small amounts. Dries fast. A lot of modellers use it for almost everything! Can sometimes be a slight problem using it on absorbent surfaces. Some folks react to it - symtomes include headaches and breathing problems (but that's not that common - if you use it in well ventilated space you shouldn't have any trouble). Some modellers (me included) don't really like using it too much because I think it can make rather brittle joints and it allows no adjustment time - best used by assembling what you want to glue and then "wicking" the CA into the joint. So, very popular with many, not so popular with others, but definately has some uses.

There are others but that will do for now!

BEB

Posted by Steve W-O on 07/04/2011 10:04:27:
Hope you enjoy it.

I bought one on ebay some time ago, I hope yours is better.

Much of the balsa was badly crushed around the cut lines, as if the die was blunt.

Would build OK if extra care is taken making sure everything is straight and square and properly lined up.

So if yours looks like it was "measured with a micrometer, marked with chalk, and cut with an axe" take your time and take extra care, and you will be OK.

I'm told they fly well, I didn't complete mine though, so I don't know.

had it out of box and showed to a model builder in club he said it was spot on and a real bargine never built before so cant compare
i also got off ebay but was a bargine at £36 delivered has full balsa kit fuel tank under carrage windows as far as i can see only other bits i need are 4 servos engine transmitter and reciver and covering

ill keep pluging away on a small budget and get what i can when i can

was going to buy a artf with all bits but lost my job so got to count them pennys
realy wanted to build 2nd plane but if i save a few £££££ will have to

thnks for advice

the glue bit very helpfull thks biggles

• 2 weeks later...