Motor Equivalents

Ah yes, you could always fit an oil burner instead....ahhh, yes...engine's cutting on take off after you have spent half the day trying to tune it.....cleaning glow fuel off everything, stinking out the house/car/garage....real planes for real men eh Myron????!!!......sorry mate, can't resist it, when your the only leccy flier at a club who's members, I'm sure, spread glow fuel on their toast in the morning, and pull my leg constantly about not sounding like "a real plane" .....I couldn't resist a retort!

Anyway, Mike , I don't think it's that difficult now if you look around, many retailers have reccomended set up's available. I know what you mean about motors disappearing though....this is the cheap end......it's stuff coming up at the right price from China, once they are gone...they are gone, no spares, no back up.

I also try to warn people off because they are often false economy [not always, but often], as you will see a £35 motor advertised [for instance]...."0.90 equivalent, 1400 watts"...whoa, happy days!....until you realise that to achive this, it has to run an 8s set up....and a £50 motor will achieve the same result on 6s!

'tis no good Scotty... he's a died in the wool, methanol in the veins old dinasour - in fact, I reckon we have finally identified the real Bertie Barnstormer.

However, ponder on this Myron.....if we leccy fliers didnt keep posting things on this forum, you would have nothing to contribute to keep us smiling so smugly

OK  Timbo  Here goes     ( BB indeed)

Title:-

Bright sparks & their loose connections            OR

A terminal tale of potential tension                       OR

The high fliers of north Wales on a slippery downhill slope         OR

Is there a glow on the horizon?

Some say that the Chinese didn't just invent cheap engines first but explosives.Now they export them to barren parts of GB to the anti methanol folks.The land of dudno seemed to be their target.

The quiet fliers(flyers) in that barren land have become bi-polar since the first early primitive but reliable batteries crossed the border.They were all(the modellers that is)sectioned semi-symettrically & spent most of their time stalling.The positive & negative aspects of their situation are well known thanks to the EMF movement, or as they are currently known "The internal resistance"  On the arrival of those primitive batteries from England ( & other advancing civilisations ),power was eventually applied to a long fence along the border to keep all the sheep in that barren land  .The local inhabitants took to wearing Wellington boots & we all know the rest !  The sheep could not escape from the "welly brigade"

To return to the story __      Over this boundary (boundery) layer ,Welsh Dai , sister Anne & step sister Polly ( an extremely stable Free -flighter from  the house of Hedral ),& their Mum ( well known as Kath) had decided to escape the lead mines & sulphuric acid lakes in that land of dudno (their spar town )having taken a lot of ribbing  & head for Hereticsford shire -a popular spot  for the escapees since there was  no passport control Just a one way system .This land had a river with no name that formed the border.  Why? You may well ask  - And there's your answer !

Later , in my next episode ,read all about Irish NMic stranded on the shores of Angelsea-High & dried

& how a high flier Nick infiltrated Timbo land ,was involved with a cad from Lithoania .Revealed will be the saga of the "sticky bun "

Read about  Dai Lithium (the welsh roman) who's daughter Crystal was the cats whisker .

Don't miss the story of Litho & Polly & the account of their model to be baby born by liposuction

Last winter - you know the one that lasted from August to May - on one rather damp and miserable day at our field it seemed that just about everybody had engine troubles - there deadsticks (always badly placed, especially as our field is bounded on two sides by a burn), motors dying on take-off, rapped fingers, burnt out plugs, etc. etc.

I was almost embarassed to wander to teh strip, place the model on its wheels, open the throttle and fly without any trouble - almost.........

Mike - the electric executioner

• 2 months later...

As a complete newcomer to this sport desperately researching the vast array of options available. I have decide to go electric.  I guess the best way to move forward with this is to get a trainer, I'm looking at Black Horse's Liberty EP and go with the recommended set up.  Otherwise I will never get off the ground.

Specification:- Wingspan 56.5" - Weight 1.2 Kg  £62.99

Motor KMS Quantum 2814/09  £29.99

Battery Impulse 3S1P 2100-2500mAh £40.99

ESC Jeti Advanced 30 Plus £60.99

Total not including radio gear or servo's £194.96

If anyone can recommend any cheaper but resonable quality alternatives to get this baby in the air I would be interested to learn.  

ok, a question - if the revs are determined by kv and volts, how come in another thread it was stated that running without a prop will allow the motor to run away and (presumably) burn out it's bearings?  Doesn't the esc have some say in this as it generates the 3 phase power cycles to drive the motor?

Yes it most certainly does Bob and I doubt that with a decent brushless motor and ESC these days, a motor will rev itself to death if unloaded. Although its true that the Kv is the designed rpm for each volt applied, loading the shaft WILL actually slow it down a bit. By design and nature, the motor will TRY to maintain its Kv but in reality, bigger loads (props) will slow it down, and IMO overloading it will more likely cause its death than running it "free"

Neale. At that weight and expected flying styles etc, I reckon you are looking for a motor which will swing a reasonable size prop, ( 11" or 12" diameter ) and give you around 80 WPlb minimum. This comes out at 211 Watts.

So aim for around 200 -250 watts of power. On a 3s LiPo battery you get about 10.5V under load, so to get 200 watts your motor will need to draw about 19A.  Lets aim for  20 - 25 A, which allows a few prop choices.

motor and ESC for less than a jeti ESC alone

top quality battery

other batteries...

other powertrains...

Well yes...you will have more money leftover for drink...and alchohol is the work of the devil

No seriously.... I dont know the model concerned and cannot say for sure how the motor is intended to fit on the firewall....I expect it should be fine if you have a fairly standard sort of ply arrangement.

Other than the physical fitting of it, no downside anticipated Slightly higher power capability means the motor will be less strained, and you do have a throttle!

I should point out that many other types of motor will be suitable also...its a question of choosing the one you feel is best value /readily available to you etc etc.

Aim for around 800- 1000 Kv and 250 Watts capable - there are plenty in that range .