I purchased a Dream Flight Alula Mk1 a few weeks ago for £20, unflown but included original NiMh pack and new Hi-Tech HS55 servo's.

I haven't owned a SAL unpowered glider before but fancied this model after watching someone with an Alula Evo last year, this looked like fun!

The clear tape covering was coming off, which has been removed, the elevons have been taped back on with a strip of glass re-inforced tape on either wing, battery charged, CG checked as per manual and away I went.

First flight showed that the CG didn't seem right and required quite a lot of blu-tak in the nose to get her behaving well, I also needed to add 50% differential to stop stalling.

Can anyone share their experiences with this model, has anyone got any setup or flight tips?

I have "traded" mine for a weasel evo - but once the Alula is set up correctly, they can be great models.
Very sensitive to the correct COG, and also elevon travel ( especially elevator) needs to be kept small.
Never really got to love mine ( probably due to me running out of patience when trying to do all the above LOL ) but lovin the EVO

Timbo
What's better about the Alula Evo over the Mk1? Is the performace much improved?
Alan
I tried the Dream Flight website but could only find stuff about the Alula Evo

Enrico
Did you have to add weight to get the CG correct?
I'm having trouble finding somewhere to put the weight in mine.
Is your CG position as per the manual?
Thanks guys

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 18/04/2011 17:05:05

Allan, i routered out the nose space and fitted the latest battery pack off the alula evo which is larger than the original and put my receiver on top of it.( battery from T9,about a fiver) Have a 5g weight on the nose and it flys no problem. CG as manual.

Hi Allan
I have found it best to have two trim settings for mine, one for launch the other for glide. I use a mix off the throttle stick to drive the elevator. Throttle forward for launch with a "touch" of down, and throttle back for a "touch" of up. It is also just a "touch", probably less than a couple of mil between the two elevator settings.

The Alula is great fun and good exercise. Stick with it!
Cheers
Ian

• 2 weeks later...
hi i have a alula evo if the first alula is anything like the evo C of G is real important its no good doing it on ya finger tips i use the point of two biros elevator needs to be kept real low on travel i use a fair bit of expo in both ele and ail's they need it hope this helps

With the Alula Mk1 it is very very important to get good smooth finely actioned resolution out of the servos, especially the tiny elevator movement.

Dymond 4.7 servos are the way to go (marketed as the smallest Ripmax SD's for UK supply), with horns set to give the smoothest possible travel over the needed small distances involved.

Reinforcing tape hinges will almost certainly be too stiff and be affecting control, I use Blenderm , grips supremely and is really flexible. Keep the gap to a minimum though.

My 90g Mk1 (Yes, 90g!) has 2mm each way elevator movement.

Oh, and mine balanced with NO ballast and with the smaller lighter original Dreamflight labelled 160mAh battery.

And the lighter Blenderm helped there as the tape hinge is way behind the CG. The tail MUST be as light as possible for it all to work.

I have sloped a 15' beach shelve in a wind so low it was at times barely discernible, and with the same settings flown in strong lift 10mph plus (Above that I fly other things, still EPP).

• 9 years later...