DH Cirrus/Gypsy Project

Ton Van Munsteren has kindly offered to draw up a plan of the Cirrus Moth at 1/6th scale. And has already started to gather three views etc with a view to us both building versions next winter. He wants to do the Cirrus Moth G-EBLV and I will do Jason Gypsy Moth G-AAAH.

if anybody wants to join in with pics and comments that would be great.

We need good side and plan view photos of G-AAAH and G-EBLV to compare against the three views and then we can get cracking

Cheers
Danny

Advert

Hi Danny - I've got quite a few photos of G-EBLV - you can see the original at Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden (which is the best place in the world IMO!).

I've also got a DB Cirrus Moth waiting to be built but the DB Tiger should be done in the next month or so - with luck i could build that at the same time as you do your TVM one and i can steal some of the detailing?

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you the photos more easily than I can put them on here (there are quite a few!) If you want to put some on here please feel free to do so.

Good build blogs Danny - I do have a peek most days!

Cheers

Terry

Danny,

Great , off we go, it will go slow but we have some time to get as much info of the planes together before starting with the drawing.

Do you have a in flight pic of the Jason aswell would be nice to have it in here aswell.

Terry,

The more Cirrus Moth´s the better.
Can I also send a PM with my adres for the pics would be much appreciated.
Send.

Ton

Hi Tony - please do - they are all my own so copyright is not an issue. I was standing looking at it last Thursday - I always go to Old Warden when I am in the UK to get my fix - any forumites out there who haven't been to see the Shuttleworth Collection should go asap! They are all flying exhibits - last thurday was a Collection Pilot training day so i got a free air display all to myself - Magister, Lizzie,Pup, Triplane, Avro 19, Tiger moth, PT19, Chipppie etc etc. If you have a spare £25 to spend become a member/volunteer and get in to displays half price, get a great magazine 3 times a year and visit the collection any time for free!!

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry, PM sent.

As an aside if you look in my photo albums you will see that there is a folder Cirrus Gypsy its a public folder so if others would like to add picrures there that would be great. The only drawback is the size limit but it should still be a good place for us all to see pics. Please check that nobody else has already posted the same pic already, Ta

Switches on.... Contact!

So have done some homework already.
Could not wait for the Hobbystore 3 view so made a start with the documantation I already have.

This is what I have so far apart from the pics Terry and Danny send to me, thanks for that guys .

3V German FMT mag.

Color view German FMT mag.

German FMT mag

German FMT mag and must say a nice set for documentation

3V from Karlstrom Gipsy Moth .

3V from Karlstrom Gipsy Moth .

3V from MAP and now HobbyStore and hoping to receive a better one soon.
This is a copy from a mag

3V from MAP which includes the Gipsy and Cirrus Moth Danny and I will build.

MAP detail drawing .

Ton

Lets start checking that 3View this is how I like to do it.

Hope you can see a little detail because of the size of the pics lots detail get lost.

3 Views placed in cad an place over the foto of the Cirrus moth

Check with FMT 3V

Hope you can see the deviation of the 3 View, it shows you need to check
the 3 view before you get started.

Check with Map 3V

Mid section and not bad at all.

Nose to short and included mod drawing to show the correct size.
Even better for the cg lateron.

Tail is close but the mod line makes all the differance dont you think .

Have no good pic of the Gipsy Moth Danny will build so have to work with one I have.
The MAP 3V is getting real close.

Very nice and good to use.

Still a long way of good fun to go but have to wait for the 3V David have aranged for me which would be much clearer and better to work which.

So and now we wait.

Ton

Brilliant Ton, it looks like you have been busy, I was worried you had cooled to the project?
I spent a couple of hours tonight researching Moths to and found some really lovely models that are never modelled

This is definitely nearly a Tiger but with straight wings and a hump The DH60GIII

Glad you have found some good three views Ton. And I am really excited about this project, should be real fun, and we can have a field day with the detailing

I have found if you search Airliners.net and put in DH60 and view all the large images there are hundreds...... I have some cockpit shots too which will be helpful.

Cheers
Danny

Danny,

Have seen that one on airliners.net to and it really is a beauty must also admit that a like the strait wings and the color, its so oldtimer nice and fits the plane perfect.

Have been doing some photo collecting also from the net we never have enough info.

But looks out with all the info you will come against, there are a lot off versions and a lot off mods it difficult to hold this apart.

Best is to try to collect all you can get on that plane you selected and leave the other alone you only get confused because of that.

If I only have the money to buy Oldwarden and all the planes flying there I would be so

Ton

Hi Ton, you are so right, it is very easy to lose focus. There are very few photos of Jason apart from some low angle shots. I may have to find it and take the long lens

However having said that It would be more fitting to model Jason as she would have been just after the historic flight, and before the crash in the potato field!

Jason looks too beat up in the present photos and doesn't look treasured as I am sure she was. So I will try and make her look as I would imagine she would have looked on the 24th May 1930 when landing in Darwin after an 11,000 mile journey. Tired and dusty.

Maybe I am just a hopeless romantic and it really was all beat up

Cheers
Danny

Hi all, I have heard "Jason" is in the Science Museum these days, andybody know how accesible she is?

Ton don't know if you have noticed, but I was looking at the Dr Sun plan and noticed that the number of partial ribs on the leading edge of the wings is different from upper to lower surface of the wings. Two riblets between main ribs on the top, and only one riblet between main ribs underneath.

Cheers
Danny

Danny good to know where it is give them a call maybe they heve something like a set of photos.

Havend looked at the drawing yet for detail will do that when I have a better/clearer 3V form Hobby store hope it will be here soon.

Know what the fullscale profile is on the Cirrus and Gipsy and that can be used on the model as well , the profile is a RAF 15 mod.

Ton

Posted by Danny Fenton on 23/04/2011 19:37:14:

Ton don't know if you have noticed, but I was looking at the Dr Sun plan and noticed that the number of partial ribs on the leading edge of the wings is different from upper to lower surface of the wings. Two riblets between main ribs on the top, and only one riblet between main ribs underneath.

Cheers
Danny

Not sure about that Danny looking at the photo below.

Ton

Hi Ton, I wasn't very clear sorry about that I mean their are two riblets between the full ribs on the upper surface of each wing and only one on the underside of each wing.

As you say its only correct if the documentation says so LOL

Anyway I am not competing with mine its just for fun, but the right number of ribs is nice

Cheers
Danny