ideal 2nd model

Paul Marshall

Advert

Hi Paul

Well there are other threads here on the same subject and everyone has  their own idea naturally. The best thing is to find a model that will advance your skills of course and that means a model that is faster than the old trainer yet still stable and forgiving - a first low wing model normally. Dont forget to give the trainer a good hiding - loops, rolls, maybe inverted, stall turns etc - it's worth exploring the capabilities of the model before you graduate.

The Seagull PC-9 is popular as it has a nice scale appearance, tricycle undercarriage and you can probably pop the motor across. Assuming you're i.c. ? 

I would highly recommend the Black Horse Super Air. Its what I used after my trainer and for my A cert. Low wing, 40 sized, tail dragger (warbird trainer?).

If you want something more scale, the Pheonix Tucano is brill! Looks awesome, flies beautifully on an Irvine 53, so will probably be tamer on a 40/46.

fit a 53 and learn to use the throttle stick! There are four main channels after all!

You should, (as has already been said), be capable of taking your existing model past its design envelope. ie see if it will spin. If it does then learn to recover from a developed spin, ie 3 or more revolutions. If youve never done any spinning then get the model checked by a more experienced pilot and then keep him/her alongside while you give it a go. Inverted flight etc is all good practice and gets you used to looking at a model in unusual attitudes.

Any low wing aircraft will be OK as long as its set up properly, but be aware that some will be faster then others due to being cleaner, ie less drag. This may be an issue for landing. The F3A plane that I used to fly had to be side slipped in to land if there was little or no wind due to being so clean. Lots of fun but possibly beyond you capabilty at this stage!?!

Remember:- the most useless thing in aerobatics is the amount of sky ABOVE you!  

Ian 

I would say get yourself a WOT4, it is a kit not ARTF but if this bothers you buy one second hand. If possible get a Mk1 with the constant chord wing.

Why a WOT4? well - its tough as old boots and flys well with anything from a .40 upwards depending on the performance you want. (I have flown one with a .90 but that was ott.) It will do every manouvre you want and then some. 

Good luck whatever you choose 

Thanx guys i have not been a member long so i have not had the time to fully exlpore this site yet! but i guess it keeps the topic fresh lol

I was given advice to buy a kyosho calmoto low winger but everyone is giving me different advice now that i have bought it my fellow club members think the shop has givin me bad advice!.This plane was orderd in so its hardly the "last plane he's got type thing".I guess it comes down to different peoples thoughts!

I heard a sayin to "three mistakes high"!

thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Paul