Aluminium Spinners

Biggles1961

Hi Guys,
Anybody know how to fit aluminium spinners to a brushless motor?.
Other half has bought me a Black Horse Mosquito, and I have a couple of 3 blade aluminium spinners for it, but have no idea how you would fit these to a brushless motor, as I've only ever used collet type prop adapters before. These aluminium ones have a hex headed screw through the tip, with a 1/4" adapter on the end (6mm?), which originally would have screwed on to a threaded shaft of an i.c. engine. Also has 2 different size bushes/collets which are a complete mystery to me. I have seen pictures of the BH Mosquito fitted with this type of spinner, but cannot find any info on how to fit them,
Any help or links would be very helpful.

Many Thanks

Chris.

Advert

With alloy spinners there is often a long centre bolt. You will need to fit the motor such that you use the bolt on adaptor, not the motor shaft.

The bolt on adaptor will need the centre drilling and tapping to the thread of the spinner centre bolt. You can get hex adaptors which are the same thread as the motor prop adaptor, which is what it sounds like you have.

This is the business end of a YT Hurricane, you can just about see the bolt on adaptor the centre of which is tapped to take the long spinner bolt

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 18/04/2011 09:58:44

Just Engines could probably turn you up something as an adapter. TBH, if you have a mate with a lathe he could do it relatively easily. The funny thing about guys with a lathe is they're always looking for an interesting little job to do so if you can find one it would be a big problem convincing them to turn up an adapter for you.

As I say, if not, then Just Engines are probably a good bet. They already do lots of adapters for IC - so you'd just need to spec the thread-sizes (front for the holding screw and back to screw onto your collet) and they could knock it up.

I have managed to buy this type of aluminium spinner for electrics with all the adapters etc. but only in the two bladed version.

BEB

You need a spinner adapter which will replace the prop nut on the prop adapter, no need to do any drilling or tapping, it just goes motor, prop adapter, spinner back plate, prop, spinner adapter, spinner and then the long threaded bolt that goes through the front of the spinner and screws into the spinner adapter.